Let's Talk About Condoms, Baby

Let's Talk About Condoms, Baby

Apparently the little rubber things that we sometimes blow up as balloons come in several shapes, sizes, and functions.

8
Let's Talk About Condoms, Baby

Most of us know what condoms are and use condoms when engaging in intercourse. The widely known functions of condoms are to prevent pregnancy and the passing of STDs. However, there are certain condoms that are better suited for certain things, and no, I’m not just referring to “her pleasure” condoms or the infamous “magnum” condoms.

The condoms I’m referring to are those that are better at preventing pregnancy than others, those that are meant to prevent the transmission of STDs, and those whose sole purpose is pleasure.

It’s no mystery that some condoms are better than others. What is a mystery though, is what condoms are considered the “worst” when it comes to preventing pregnancy and STDs? In a time where more than one million cases of chlamydia are reported a year in both men and women, it would be useful to know which condoms are actually helping us spread this sexually transmitted infection instead of preventing it. Even more seriously, we should be aware of which condoms are better at preventing pregnancy rather than making us feel like we’re being safe when we actually aren't.

According to Men’s Health, choosing the right condom is key. Dr. Debby Herbenick says, “because so many [condoms] have new designs, textures, and materials” it’s especially important to determine which ones are for show and which ones are actually fulfilling the purpose they’re intended to. It’s no secret as to why we’re drawn to the condoms that guarantee pleasure more than protection, even though protection is the reason why we’re using condoms in the first place. I mean, the reason for sex in the first place is for pleasure. However, when does pleasure become more important than protection?

Getting more technical into answering that question, the Center for Disease Control says, “Consistent and correct use of the male latex condom reduces the risk of sexually transmitted disease (STD) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) transmission. However, condom use cannot provide absolute protection against any STD. The most reliable ways to avoid transmission of STDs are to abstain from sexual activity, or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner. However, many infected persons may be unaware of their infection because STDs often are asymptomatic and unrecognized.”

I don’t know about you, but this doesn’t do much for me. What if we want to have sex and not have to worry about STDs at the same time? Is this something that’s even possible?

Lucky for us, the FDA has this handy fact sheet (where the items with the letter x are a must):

[X] Latex or polyurethane, including the female condom

[X] Disease prevention claim on package label

Also consider:

[ ] With lubricant

[ ] Separate lubricant (Select only water-based lubricants made for this purpose.)

A fact sheet like this allows us to know what to look for in condoms to best insure protection. After knowing these things, we can then look for condoms that have both the necessities for protection as well as pleasure.

Let’s appreciate condoms, people. Let’s buy those mighty little rubbers with our heads held high, taking pride in being knowledgeable about which ones are really going to protect us while we’re seeking pleasure.