Let Them Be Little

Let Them Be Little

Love all the moments, the good, the bad and the ugly.

19
Let Them Be Little
Alyssa Mench

There is 365 days in a year. Times that by 18 years, and that's 6,570 days (give or take with some months being shorter than others.) But that is 6,570 days you have to take care of another human being. You have to feed, care and nurture this little human from birth to adulthood. You can say all these things your going to do and what kind of mom your going to be but when it comes down to it you can't decide what kind of mom you will be until you are a mom and you are put in tough situations.

For example:

The dreaded Target trip. A simple trip to Target can turn into hours. Your toddler doesn't want to sit in the cart and you can't seem to make them happy. They want that toy on the self and they're throwing a tantrum because they can't have it. And the lady over there has the nerve to give you "the look" like get that kid out of here. Which is just frustrating you even more. They want a sip of your coffee frappucino from Starbucks but it has coffee so they can't. But you learn to pick your battles. And soon your like fine, throw your tantrum. Scream. Here drink all my frappucino please, you'll survive.

The nap & bed time. I mean why is it they're always hungry when it's time to sleep but as soon as you make them their three-course meal with chicken nuggets, beans and fruit they want nothing to do with it. Again, you choose your battles. Fine eat this hot dog, here have some Mac and cheese. Sure, you want fruit snacks? Here you go. And of course they STILL don't want to go to bed. You're tired and exhausted and you just want a break. But of course you know those times you're busy and have to go somewhere they fall asleep in 2.5 seconds in the vehicle right before you arrive at your destination to get out. Why can't they do that at home, in their own bed!?

Oh and let's not forget potty time. No I'm not even talking about potty training! I'm talking about when you just wanna poop in peace. I'm being real here. I mean it is literally impossible to go to the bathroom alone with your toddler around. They try grabbing at your pants and underwear and if you're like my daughter trying to put toilet paper in between my legs. Like, I'm sorry child I carried you for 9 months up my yooha in my uterus, I think the least I deserve is to do my duties in peace.

And, not to mention the insane tantrums over nothing. But you know as soon as you get them to bed, you lay there exhausted. You told yourself you were going to clean, but you are too tired. That shower you wanna take, well, might as well forget it because you know as soon as you get in your going to think you hear them crying and go to check them and they're still fast asleep. I mean it's a never ending cycle this motherhood thing, and damn it can be so utterly exhausting.

But then when I really think about it... I have 6,570 days of an infinite amount of kisses. Someone who will love me no matter how skinny, how fat or how ugly I feel. Someone who sees me as mom, their comfort. The one they look up to. The one who they run to when they scrape their knee. The one they'll cry to when their first love breaks their heart. The one who they can count on day in and day out because no matter how damn tired I am at the end of every single day, I am ready to get up and do it all over again because there is nothing more rewarding than when you see your child say their first word. When they take their first steps. Pee in the potty for the first time. Learn how to ride a bike. Walk off to their first day of school. When they start to feed themselves. I mean believe it or not these all might seem like minor things but the pride and joy of knowing you as a parent taught them those things outweighs all the tough moments.

And now, after becoming a mom, I wanna fall at my own mom's knees and just say I get it now. I get why I made you so frustrated sometimes. I know why you cried when I didn't respect you. I know when we argued it broke your heart. But I never once second guessed my love for you. I knew every day if I ever needed someone, you would be there. Whether it was if I got in trouble or if I just wanted to be praised for something awesome I just achieved. Your mom will always be your biggest fan, no matter the circumstances.

So, if your child wants to wear those pajama pants with that dress, let them. It may be out of style sure, and they may not match. But it might be the last time you'll get to help them get dressed. Soon she'll be wearing miss me jeans and short t-shirts and you'll wish she would just throw on that princess dress and pajama pants again, and spin around the room with innocence pretending she's a princess.

If your child wants to eat fruit snacks for dinner, let them. It might be the last time they come to you and ask you for food. Pretty soon they'll just grab and go without even asking, it's like they won't even need you anymore, not even for the littlest things.. And you will miss it, I promise you'll miss it.

If your child wants to go barefoot in the dirt and put it all over their mouth, do it. Pretty soon they'll be experimenting with God knows what when they're a teenager and you'll do anything to go back to the days they were just putting dirt in their mouth.

If your child wants to throw a tantrum, let them. Let everyone stare at you. Soon, your toddler will be 16 and they'll go to the store with their friends. They won't need you to take them to get their things anymore. You no longer will have a little shopping buddy by your side, and as much as you probably would love the one time, you're going to miss it.

And if your child doesn't want to go to bed just yet, let them stay up a little late. Soon they won't come home at all, and you'll be sitting up in bed worrying about them until 1am when they walk through the door. And you'll just wish they were home begging you to stay up another hour to watch Peppa pig or Mickey Mouse clubhouse with you on the couch. And, yes. We've all seen their favorite shows over and over and over again and you probably find yourself singing the songs when you're alone. But in that moment they are innocent, learning toddler things and hey, just wait till they are older and ask you to see their first rated R movie. You'll miss the cartoons, I promise.

And, when the day comes where they can say "Mom, I hate you!" Let them. Don't take it to heart. I promise they still need you. They are in that "stage." You've been there. You know, every time you fought with your mom hours later in your heart you knew it wasn't right and you knew you still loved her and you forever regretted saying that. You would make up over time and the cycle would continue all through their teenage years, because they're growing, their learning new things and they want to be independent. Let them explore but don't forget who's boss. Stand your ground, but have a gentle heart when they need your love the most.

SO, LET THEM BE LITTLE RIGHT NOW, and ENJOY IT! And when the time comes and you're having a bad day, just think, you're going to open your eyes one day and be 80 years old. Your kids won't be kids anymore and your new name will be grandma.

So love hard. Love hard as hell, take it one day at a time and don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty soon your babies won't be babies anymore. It's time you can never get back you only can do it once, so love all moments. The good, the bad and the ugly.