Let Them Go: An Open Letter to the Broken Hearted

I will be the first to tell you that letting go of someone who you thought would be there through everything has to be the hardest thing to ever experience.

97
Let Them Go:  An Open Letter to the Broken Hearted
Cassie Sanders

The Hard Part

I will be the first to tell you that letting go of someone who you thought would be there through everything has to be the hardest thing to ever experience. If you've put a lot of time, prayers, love, care, and commitment into a relationship, it's tough when things go down hill. When you've continually fought to make it through the harsh seasons of this world and you're left in the dust, it can be enough to tear you down. I've lost people in my life that I thought never would leave. Whether it was a childhood friendship that grew apart, a boyfriend/girlfriend who kicked you to the curb, or a family member who should make an attempt to stay in your life, it will hurt.

You can say you're okay all you want, I've definitely been there. You can't fathom why that person would leave you or push you away, or just ignore you when you worked so hard. You don't understand what you did or what is wrong with you. Those kinds of feelings are normal, but you can't constantly put yourself down because of someone else's decision. They chose to leave, they chose to let you go. It's going to be tough in the beginning, but you will make it. Give your broken heart to God and allow Him to fix it. Throughout high school, you're going to get your heart broken. You're gonna love someone who doesn't love you back, you're gonna put all of your love into someone and they're going to break you.

It Gets Easier

You can't make someone be ready for the same thing you are, but you are NOT required to wait around until they are. It's okay to cry. It's all right to pray and give it all to God. He will listen. He will be there for you when you feel like no one else is, pushing you and fighting for you. As children of Christ, we have to remember to listen to him as well. Don't let the screams of your broken heart muffle the voice of God speaking to you. Know that He's telling you that you don't have to be strong because the blood was applied and He will be strong for you!

"Let your conversation be without convetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
- Hebrews 13:5 KJV

Throughout my series of heart breaks, I grew a lot. I realized that what's between God and I isn't a religion: it's a relationship. The only relationship you will ever need. No one on this earth can fill you with joy and love the way Jesus can. He will never leave our side or forsake us. Sometimes in this crazy world, we forget about what's important. We focus more on the things that won't matter instead of chasing our goals and putting our focus on the cross.

Look ahead, follow your dreams, allow people to be there for you. Through all these situations I've come to realize that its okay to seek guidance from your friends, family, even youth leaders. Sometimes God puts certain people in your life to support you and help encourage your relationship with Him. I know it can be easy to lose sight of who is there and who isn't through the rubble of life, but try to pay attention. Sometimes it isn't who you've known the longest, but who came and never left. Allow the people who love you to help. I know what you're thinking. You probably are like me and you don't like people to feel bad for you. You hate feeling vulnerable and you don't want to bother other people with your problems. Trust me, I know what that feels like. But listen to me when I tell you that it is okay to share the weight. That's what they are there for. Don't make the mistake of pushing the ones who love and care about you away just because you're going through a rough patch. I promise they will understand.

Write Your Story

I know it feels like you've done all you can do, and maybe you have. Maybe you just need to take a step back, breathe, and allow God to have complete control. It's a hard concept to grasp, but you have to break free. For all the people who leave you, say goodbye. Let them free themselves. I realized that losing someone can be a blessing. As hard as it is for us to see it, God has bigger and better things in store for you. That person may not be a part of your story.

When people leave your life, regardless of your relationship with them, remember that Jesus is making things work in your favor, even if it doesn't seem that way. You are amazing. God says we are all beautifully and wonderfully made no matter how we feel or what other people think. Forgive the ones who leave. Because a little heart break every once in a while is nothing compared to the pain Jesus went through dying on the cross for our mistakes. If He can forgive us after all we do, we can forgive others also. Stop worrying about the people who left and focus on the one who never will. It's time for you to brush the dust off your hopes and dreams and do YOU! Stay true to yourself and the person God wants you to be. Write your own story instead of letting other people tell you how to do it. You don't need a prince to have your fairy tale. My love story involves the KING. Yours can too.

"Change is a hard thing to swallow sometimes. It's hard to leave all you know and sometimes even harder to accept. But, it is the thing you are trying to talk yourself out of that God is trying to bring you into. Sometimes staying means losing all God had for you."