Let The Coaches Coach

Let The Coaches Coach

If you don't like the coaches go somewhere else or do it yourself

429
Let The Coaches Coach
The Huffington Post

This is for "those" parents. Yeah, you know who you are. The parents who overstep every boundary when your children are playing sports. The parents who get way too intense. The parents who think they know more than everyone else. The parents who think their child is a Godsend. Let me tell you something...you are the worst kind of parent.

I've been an athlete for many years and now have some coaching experience. I have seen so many of these parents. You signed your daughter or son up for the sport and you don't trust the coach. Look, if you think the coach is an idiot or wrong, you should have done the job! Oh, you don't have time? Well those coaches do. They are investing their time so they probably have an idea of what's going on. Most of them have either played the sport or been around it for a long time, especially if your daughter or son is older. Again, if you don't like the coaches go somewhere else or do it yourself.

Don't intrude on the coaching. Let the kids be with the coaches at practice and learn from them. Don't yell things at them or go up to them at practices or games. Don't try and become a coach unless invited. Don't tell them that what the coach is teaching them is wrong once you get home. If you don't think it's right you can have a private conversation with the coach and once they say they believe they are right, you drop it.

Hey parents, I know that you think they are a star athlete, but if he or she isn't playing, it's because he or she isn't good. Don't go bother coaches about playing time. When they're younger it makes sense because it isn't about winning, but as they get older winning is almost everything. Don't go bug the coaches and gossip about how your child isn't playing because the coach hates them. Tell your kid that if they want to play they need practice, dedication, and hard work. Don't give them an out. What are you teaching them?

Speaking of winning, winning doesn't matter at young ages. Don't wonder why your kid is sitting the bench and being rotated in and out. Don't scream because a kid who wants to try a position is and isn't good at it. Younger age sports is about having fun, learning the game, making friends, and ensuring that the kids continue to play. Yes winning is good because learning how to win and lose is important, but it isn't everything.

Looking out for what's best for your child is one thing, but they won't learn anything if you hover. Let them be. Let the coaches coach. Don't be "that" parent.