Lessons Summer '16 Taught Me

Lessons Summer '16 Taught Me

Learning also happens outside of school.

3676
Lessons Summer '16 Taught Me

Summer is a great time for new opportunities, new adventures and new chances. Summer is also a good time for new lessons and new beginnings. This summer I had the luxury of working two jobs: working in a bookstore with lovely tourists (sarcasm intended) and also being an intern at a PR firm. Now I chose to do this and I am truly grateful for the opportunity to do so. I learned so many things at my internship and also at my current job. But there are other lessons that this summer taught me outside of my work experience:

1. Let go of what will not be.

If there is anything that I learned this summer, it was to let go of what I know will not happen. Too many times I had my hopes up or got anxious about something that I knew wasn't going to happen. It was hard for me to accept it, but it liberated me of something that I was holding on to. It was draining me mentally, but I realized that there are other things and people out there that are meant for me to have.

2. Being by yourself is the best company.

I know it may sound like all I did was work and go home, but it is not entirely true. It may be 85 percent true, but it helped me to fashion myself into an adult. I didn't go out much because I don't like crowds. Staying home and watching a movie while having a nice glass was lit for me. I didn't need a lot of company and it made me happy than being with people I didn't want to be around. Of course, I had my occasional turn up nights but riding solo was also pure joy. This helped me to enjoy people’s company, but also enjoy my own company.

3. Get to know people who are different.

I also had the pleasure of befriending people who lived totally different lifestyles than me. I'm talking about people who I would never give the time of day to. But that just goes to show that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. People at my jobs were great friends to me, and helped me realize what I should want in life. They also taught me how to fight for my happiness and do what makes me happy. I forever cherish what they taught me.

4. Change is good.

Also during the summer, I had to change a few things around. Friendship is one. I had to change my friend circle around. I literally went from having five good here-and-there friends, to two main friends that I talk to on a daily basis. At first, I was, “Wow I’m lonely,” but then I was like, “Anyone who comes into my life, don’t play. If you want to leave, that is fine, too.” This also helped me to redefine what I want in life including my goals, dreams and aspirations. Change may not be easy, but it is definitely good. It’s needed. It’s refreshing.

These are some of the greatest lessons that I learned this summer. As I get ready to go back to school, I am not physically ready, but I’m ready to tackle this school year with a new mind, attitude and heart. I have lost but I have gained, and that is the perfect balance. I encourage anyone of any age, race or gender to let things be what they are. Embrace what something is going to do you. Listen and understand the lessons that life is trying to teach you, and when it happens, take note.