Lessons on being a server
Food Drink

A Lesson On Being A Server

Shocking that you aren't their only table, I know.

163
A Lesson On Being A Server

Your server is a person, just like you are. Which means they might make a mistake or two in the hour you are with them that day. There are so many things besides just the server that can affect your time at a restaurant or bar. Here's a little lesson about what it's really like to be a server for the ignorant people that blame them for every little thing.

Server's work really long hours, usually with no breaks. They can't just leave their tables to go and get a bite to eat or sometimes use the bathroom. So, maybe your server has been gone for 5 minutes and your drink just happened to run out.

Step 1: look around to see if they are busy running around like a crazy person because they have other tables besides you (shocking that you aren't their only table, I know). Give them a minute to look over and notice you need something.

Step 2: check to see if they are just standing around. In this case, it is acceptable to stare them down. They will notice, feel uncomfortable, and come to your table shortly. It is NOT acceptable to snap, clap your hands, or flail your arms around.

Step 3: wait a few more minutes because they may have snuck off to the bathroom for the first time in 7 hours.

Now let's talk about the kitchen. Contrary to popular belief, server's do not usually go back and make your food. Therefore, they are not responsible for how fast your dinner comes out. Please do not take it out on your server because it took a while for your dinner to come out on a busy night. They want your food to come out just as fast as you do. Faster food = happier customer = better tip. There's no conspiracy to make your food come out as slow as possible.

Closing time. This means you should leave at the closing time. Don't sit around and chit chat for hours after closing time because you want to catch up. Take it to another place that is open later, or back to your house.

It also means you shouldn't come in 10 minutes before closing time. There is no way you will get your dinner by closing time and now you have irritated the kitchen and wait staff.

The big T word. Tipping. There is so much controversy around this. Bottom line, a big majority of companies are not willing to pay their servers a reasonable wage. Here in Michigan, it's $3.52 per hour. Could you live on that? I think not. Especially since it all gets taken in taxes from the tips they claim.

Then there are people who think, "the next person will tip my server to make up for me not doing it or giving a very small amount." WRONG. You're not the only person who thinks that way. So the cycle continues.

I'm sure you've heard it before: "If you can't afford to tip your server, you can't afford to go out to eat." Order take-out or go get fast food somewhere. Servers depend on tips to pay their bills, feed their families, pay their tuition, etc.

Be a decent human being and be nice to your server next time you're eating out. Yelling at them because your shrimp didn't come out well done could send them over the edge because of the stress of the job. Unfortunately, severs cannot micromanage everything that happens in a restaurant. It takes a certain type of person to be able to deal with the public and stay sane.

Servers do the best they can in every situation they are given. Just like you do in your job. I think sometimes people forget that being a waiter or waitress is someone elses job, not just a hobby they do for fun.