Lessons From A Life With A Dog

Lessons From A Life With A Dog

The greatest lessons on being a good person don't come from a person.

55
Lessons From A Life With A Dog
Kyra Schell

It has been a month since the passing of my beloved Angus. There are no words to describe the immense amount of love, joy, and comfort that having a dog brought into my life. While I miss him every single day, there is no denying that he has left a strong impression on all of our lives. In fifteen years, I learned more about life from my dog than I have from any person.

1. Always greet people with a smile.

There is no better feeling than walking in the door after a long day to a warm, slobbery greeting. Dogs never hold back their excitement to see someone. The same should go for people. If you are excited to see someone, let them know. I guarantee it will make their day brighter.

2. Give people your undivided attention.

If someone is talking to you, they deserve your full attention. Your dog would never pull out their phone to respond to a quick text while you're venting to them. Don't do that to your friends. Always be a good, respectful listener. It will make you a much more approachable person, and can create lasting connections.

3. Sometimes, you just need to listen.

During my first breakup, my dog was my go to. Although he couldn't tell me that boys were stupid and I deserved better the way that my friends could, he provided me a different kind of support. As I sat alone in tears, his big brown eyes said it all. I knew that he could see my pain, and that he didn't like it. Be that person for someone. Even if you don't know what to say, sometimes just listening can make it all better.

4. Respect the property of others.

For a dog, Angus was quite well-behaved. He never chewed shoes or slept on the couch. He loved his toys and beds, but he knew his place. We appreciated that he knew his boundaries. Always know your boundaries with people. Ask permission before using anything that is not yours, and always treat the property of others with respect.

5. Always leave a lasting impression.

Despite the fact that my dog had never set foot (or paw) on the Villanova campus, his fur has somehow made it to my dorm room. While I wouldn't recommend leaving any physical pieces around, it is always good to make a positive, lasting impression on someone. After you leave a room or conversation, people should remember their interaction with you fondly.

6. Be yourself.

My dog used to eat the rocks in our backyard and would later throw them up all over my parents' carpet in the middle of the night. Absolutely disgusting and quite irritating. But we still loved him. If you are not afraid to be yourself, flaws and all, the right people will see the best in you and love you for all that you are. Never hold back who you truly are; allow the right people to come into your life.

7. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

At the beginning of every meal, my dog would sit a few feet away from the table. As we ate, he would slowly inch himself closer and closer until his head was on your lap. He wanted that chicken on your fork, and was not afraid to beg for it. Usually, he snagged a piece or two. Never be afraid to fight for what you want. The worst that can happen is being told no. However, chances are, you'll usually end up getting your way.

8. Bathe regularly. Please.

The only thing worse than the smell of a wet dog is the smell of a dirty dog. If you bathe regularly, people will certainly enjoy being around you much more. This doesn't need too much elaboration.

9. There is never a bad time to eat.

No matter what time of day it is or how recently they've eaten, dogs are always hungry. Always. Listen to your body. If you are hungry, then eat something. Always choose a healthy option, but don't restrain yourself for fear of looking bad in a swimsuit. After all, have you ever seen a dog look bad in a bikini?

10. The same goes for sleeping.

If there was a patch of sunlight coming through the window in my living room, chances are my dog was sleeping on it. No matter what time of day it was, he took advantage of every opportunity for a quick nap. When he was finished, he was always ready to plan. If you are feeling sluggish or tired, a quick "dog" nap might be just what you need to get going again.

11. Exercise!

As soon as my dog heard the word walk, he started jumping up and down and running in circles. We used code words, which were frequently changed because of how quickly he caught on. That love of exercise was contagious. Even now that he is gone, we still enjoy taking peaceful walks at night. Regular exercise is fantastic for both your body and your mind.

12. Love unconditionally.

We used to joke that Angus only loved us because we fed him. However, we knew that he loved us unconditionally. And boy, did we love him. Do not let fear of rejection stop you from giving your heart to someone in full. The reward is so great.