21 Lessons Learned in 21 Years

21 Lessons Learned in 21 Years

One Lesson for Each Year

13

On December 12, 2016, I will be twenty-one. As the birthday approached, it really got me thinking about life and how fast it is happening. I’ve had a lot of life experiences. I was told by a doctor there was a chance I could have had cancer when I was only ten years old, I’ve been in love and had my heart broken, and I have gained the truest of friends. My life has been a roller coast so I thought I’d share with you 21 things I have learned in 21 years:

1.Don’t let the little things get to you

There are going to be times in life when a friend will do something similar to say one thing but change their mind. You shouldn't let it affect you becaue it won't matter in five years. Why let one small thing change your mood?

2. Don’t walk away mad from a loved one

This one is my biggest lesson that I learned. Every time I'm leaving or saying bye to someone, I tell them I love them and make sure they say it back. I never know when I'll see them again or if I ever will.

3. NO ONE is perfect

We are human so that means we make mistakes. We can either learn from the mistake or let it consume us.

4. You’re not going to have an answer for everything

It's perfectly fine to answer "I don't know".

5. Your gut is always right

If you have a gut feeling, listen to it.

6. We get treated the same way we treat others

I you're gonna be rude to someone, they will be rude back.

7. The right people deserve a second chance

Forgiving someone can be hard, but it can help you have closure. Yes, it might take time but that doesn't mean you should stay mad at them.

8. You must believe in yourself before anyone believes in you

If you can't believe in yourself, who will?

9. Friends come and go

It's as simple as that. In life, you learn who you're true friends are and who will stick with you through thick and thin.

10. Don’t compare yourself to others

If you start comparing yourself to someone, you will lose who you are as a person.

11. Money doesn’t buy happiness

True happiness comes from the heart. Money can buy things, yes, but spending time with loved ones will always be better.

12. Don’t take yourself too seriously

Live a little and laugh a lot.

13. It’s okay to cry

Crying is a natural reaction. Crying doesn't mean you're weak, it means that you have been too strong for too long.

14. You'll regret the things you DIDN'T do

You might regret going to that party, but you will definitely regret not going to it more because you made memories you will remember for life.

15. There is no point in worrying

Why worry about life when you can make the best of it?

16. Life is too short to be in a bad mood

We are only alive for a short amount of time, we need to enjoy it with the ones we love.

17. Your parents are right, most of the time

Except that one time your mom said an outfit or haircut looked cute. You're parents know whats best for you because they are more experienced in life and wiser.

18. Saying no is okay

Don't always say yes, learn to do what you want sometimes but not what others want from you.

19. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

Asking questions is okay especially when you don't know what you are doing.

20. You have to stick up for yourself

21. Life isn’t always about the destination, but the journey