65 Things I'm Going To Teach My Future Daughter

Powder your nose, paint your toes, line your lips AND BE A BOSS.

80

I think ever since I was a little girl playing with baby dolls, I have always looked forward to having a daughter of my own. A little girl who, I'm hoping, looks a lot like me. I think most girls have that dream, wearing matching outfits with your toddler daughter, trying out cute hairstyles on her, going to get mani-pedis with her, and just doing so many other things. But as a parent, it is going to be my job to teach that little girl everything she is going to need to know to get through this crazy thing we call life. It will be my task to make sure she is well prepared for the day she spreads her wings and starts to live by herself, meet a boy, get married, and have her very own daughter. There are so many things I have to teach her.

1. If you're not happy doing what you're doing, it's time to find something else. Life is way too short to spend your life hating your job, your school, your partner, your life.

2. Red lipstick is a makeup bag must. And I am going to teach her how to wear the crap out of it as well.

3. Your GPA does not define you. You are so much more than what school says you are. Your ability to follow instructions does not equal how intelligent you are.

4. No matter what you have done, God still loves you and Jesus died on that cross just for you.

5. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make me hate you. But that doesn't mean you should try out every possible way of making me hate you.

6. Wear the outfits you want. My style is not your style, nor is the most popular girl in school's. As long as you're covered, I'm good.

7. It's okay if high school isn't the best four years of your life. They sure as heck weren't mine. Whoever made the saying that they are is a liar, don't think your life just goes downhill after high school.

8. Never try to be the school bully. It may seem that they are super popular and everyone loves them, but you don't want to be remembered as the girl everyone secretly was afraid of and hated in high school.

9. Keep loving people, even after someone breaks your heart. One of the biggest tragedies in life is when someone turns a broken heart into a stone cold heart. Don't be walked over, but don't be cold either.

10. No one cares that you have acne. Everyone get pimples and no one notices it until you point it out.

11. An extra slice of pizza isn't going to kill you. If you've already had two and you really want the third but no one else is getting anymore, do it anyway.

12. You don't always have to dress up. It's okay to wear sweatpants and t-shirts, you don't have to look like you just stepped off a runway all the time.

13. Never ever lower your standards for a boy. Don't listen to people who say that love can't be a fairytale and you need to lower your standards. You are a princess and your prince is coming, don't settle for frogs.

14. Don't bite your nails. Just trust me on this one, just don't do it.

15. Stand up for your friends. Your friends are like the family you actually get to choose. If someone is making fun of them or if a boy is being mean to them, stand up for them.

16. Don't ever go into a relationship thinking you can change someone. I know dating the bad boy and turning him into a good boy makes a good plot for a movie, but sometimes that doesn't always work. Don't date a bad boy and plan to change him. Relationships are supposed to be fun, not a chore. If he wants to change, that's fine; but you can't make him.

17. Do not say things out of anger. When life throws hard situations at you and all you want to do is scream at someone, take 24 hours to process it before you speak to the person who hurt you.

18. If you go out and get in trouble, have a back up plan. I'm hoping your father or myself would be the first you'd call. But, if you are too embarrassed to call one of us, call another adult family member to pick you up and help give you some advice i.e. your aunt or your uncle, or maybe even your older sibling.

19. Your fake smile isn't fooling anyone.

20. Find your passion and make a career out of it. Don't decide you want to be a nurse or a teacher or a hair stylist just because you think that's what everyone expects of you. If you have a passion for something, find out how to make a career out of it.

21. Take pictures. Take pictures, make books of them so later you can show your kids and your grandkids all the memories you had.

22. But also know when it's an inappropriate time for a photo op.

23. If it's something you're passionate about, fight for it. Sometimes the thing you want in life aren't just simply handed to you, you have to fight for it.

24. Working at McDonald's doesn't mean you're a loser. Ignore anyone who makes fun of you for having a minimum wage job while in school. Nine times out of ten, they don't have any job at all so you're the one actually making money.

25. Don't ever tell any family members you hate them. You never mean it, but as soon as it is said it is hard to take back.

26. Don't buy clothes that are too small for you. You're uncomfortable wearing it and it isn't flattering. Well-fitting is way better than hard-to-breathe, no matter what look you're going for.

27. Wear however much make up you want. If you're just going to the grocery store and you have your make up done like you're headed to prom, good for you. If that's what makes you happy, then so be it.

28. But also wearing no make up is cool too.

29. Learn to bake. Cupcakes, cookies and brownies can be your best friend after a bad day, especially if I'm not there to make some for you. You'll also find it amazing just how proud you can be of yourself for making simple box recipe cupcakes.

30. Get your own opinion. Don't always agree with my opinion because I'm your mom, and don't always follow your friends' opinions because you feel like you'll be left out if you don't.

31. Don't ever apologize for being yourself. There is no better you than you, don't say you're sorry for being that.

32. You don't have to go to college. I know public school puts a lot of pressure on you to go to college, but if it's not for you that's fine.

33. But you do need to have a plan for yourself. Once high school ends, you are not going to just sit around my house and do nothing. You can live here as long as you want, but you better either be going to class or going to work.

34. Have money in your savings account. Even I had problems with this, hopefully by the time you're reading this I figured out how to save money then spend it all at once.

35. Learn how to paint your own nails. Going to get manicures is fun and all, but paying $15 - $50 every time you want to paint your nails? Not worth it.

36. Don't apologize for your taste in music. If you're into boy bands, hardcore rap, gospel or heavy metal, own it. Don't let anyone get you down for your music taste.

37. You don't have to do anything for a man you don't want to. This ranges from the bedroom to simple things like cooking or cleaning for him. He is your boyfriend/husband, he is not your master.

38. Inner beauty is more important, but it's okay to care about your outer beauty. You should know your inner beauty is totally more important, but you're allowed to take pride in how you look on the outside, too!

39. It's okay to be single. A man does not complete you.

40. No matter where you've been, or what you have done, I still love you. And I'll probably be waiting for you at home with a plate of cookies ready to talk about it.

41. Hate never wins. I think Selena Gomez said it best (you will probably have no idea who that is by the time you're old enough to read this) when she said "but the thing is, at the end of the day, no war in anger was ever won."

42. Confidence is the best outfit you can wear.

43. If you decide to go to college and it takes longer than normal, that's okay too. Not everyone can finish the mold of college in just 4 years, you're not dumb, you're not weird, it's fine. If in the end you have your degree in your hand, that's all that matters.

44. It's okay to have a "me day." It's okay to take a day off of classes or work for some self care, but don't do this all the time - you could fail out of school or be fired.

45. Some stupid boy is going to break your heart. Some boy is going to come into your life, lie to you and end up taking half of your heart when he leaves. You will survive, you will find someone else - and he better hope he doesn't run into your father or I around town.

46. Don't forget your friends when you get a boyfriend. Really, that's how you can kill an entire friendship because it's so hard to come back from that.

47. Call your grandparents. You don't even have to have anything to say, just calling to say hello will mean a lot to them.

48. Don't ever judge anyone because they sin differently than you. All sin is equal under God's eye, don't think of yourself as better or worse because someone sinned differently than you.

49. Don't try to grow up so fast. You cannot get your childhood back when it is over, don't wish it away.

50. It's okay to stop being friends with someone. If you feel like they are toxic to you and they are no longer being a healthy part of your life, let them go.

51. You can tell me anything. Good or bad, ugly or amazing, you can always tell me anything and you can even preface it with "I just want to get this out, don't try to fix it for me."

52. Dance in your bedroom like no one is watching. Also because, no one is watching - so get your grove on, girl!

53. If you are stuck in a situation, use me as an excuse. Tell them your mom said no. Tell your friends I am making you go home, tell a boy I said you can't hang out. If you are stuck in a situation and need a way out, just use me. I will vouch for you.

54. There is always room for dessert.

55. Find a quote that describes your life. Then live by it.

56. Find a favorite vegetable. Some vegetables just taste like flat out garbage, but find one that you can tolerate because you can't live off of sweets.

57. Learn to give. You always feel much better after giving then you do receiving.

58. Always sympathize. Never forget how to sympathize.

59. If you want to add color to your hair, do it. Even if it ends up looking terrible, you'll always wonder what it would have been like if you don't do it. If it looks horrible, we can always get a color correction.

60. Never stop dreaming. Even if you reached your dream, create a new one.

61. I'm always the mom. I don't care if you get taller, stronger, prettier, smarter, or richer than me - I'm still your mom.

62. Your father is your first love. And I hope your marry someone like him.

62. The world is a pretty big place. Explore it.

63. Racism, sexism, and any other forms of discrimination are not okay. And they will not be tolerated under my roof.

64. If you like someone, ask them out. The worst they can do is say no and then I'll eat ice cream with you when we cry about it.

65. You're always welcome home. To visit, to stay for a couple days or week. For holidays, birthdays, or just random days, you can always come over and hang out with me.