Leslie Knope's Life Lessons

Leslie Knope's Life Lessons

Take a few hints from Pawnee's most loyal citizen.

22
Leslie Knope's Life Lessons

I just recently finished binge-watching "Parks and Recreation" (in under a month, no shame) and despite all of the antics chronicled on the show, from the insane citizens to the endless amounts of waffles, I learned innumerable lessons from Pawnee's most dedicated civil servant.

Through this show, I learned how to be a little more confident in myself and those around me. Leslie Knope is many things: a politician, a mother, a wife, a best friend, and an advocate for social change, just to name a few. But she is also an incredible teacher. Here are eleven ways that you can make your life a little more Knope-ish.

1. Encourage your friends and do whatever you can to make them smile a little more. By lifting others up, you are encouraging so much more positivity in your own life.

2. There is never a bad time to eat breakfast food.

3. Channeling your inner child is so important. Adulthood can often be scary and stressful. Take a break, do something silly, and don't care what anyone else says.

4. Being single does not make you weak. Celebrate yourself and all your strengths, and someday you'll find your Ben Wyatt, but for now, you'll be just fine.

5. Papers and projects and meetings and work, oh my. It can be easy to get burnt out and work yourself to the bone. Listen to your friends' advice (and your own body) when they tell you to slow down.

6. Sickness (and crankiness) is a state of mind. Change the way you think and you will likely change the way that you feel.

7. Be a good best friend. Loyalty will get you very far in life.

8. Do what makes you happy, even when people doubt you.

9. The only way we can challenge the stigma behind feminism and equality is to make our feminism intersectional and inclusive. Don't tear down other people who have different dreams and goals than you do.

10. You have to be okay on your own. Your significant other shouldn't complete you so much as compliment you and motivate you to be the best you can be.

11. Take a second to take it all in. Take mental pictures (Shoutout to you, Jim and Pam Halpert) of the highlights of your life. Cherish every little thing because time flies.