Legalize It

Legalize It

You don't have to smoke it to support it.

8
Legalize It
True Activist

In today’s society, drugs are more than just an old-fashioned trend or an out-dated phenomenon. Drugs are now being used as an escape, for both teens and adults, from everyday struggles that people experience. However, one drug in particular, is popular among teens, and more beneficial than meets the eye. Marijuana (“Weed,” "Pot," "Mary Jane," whatever one would like to call it) is one of the healthiest drugs a person can consume; it is able to aid the healing process of various diseases, and contrary to popular belief, does not kill all brain cells. In fact, the human body has an Endocannabinoid System that is made to break down THC. While this drug is currently illegal for recreational use in almost every state, and is still illegal for medicinal use in approximately 24 states, there are talks of Marijuana becoming completely legalized. Marijuana also has the potential to generate billions of dollars in tax revenue and can provide occupations for thousands of citizens nationwide. It is probable that the legalization of Marijuana can lead America onto a healthier and wealthier path.

Many believe that Marijuana is harmful to the human body; conversely, it does more good than bad. In fact, smoking Marijuana is the healthier alternative to smoking Tobacco. As said in public advertising, Tobacco kills and frequently leads to Cancer. On the flip side, while Marijuana does contain carcinogens, much like Tobacco does, Tobacco generates something called “Free Radicals” when smoked that are far worse than what is found in Marijuana, which does not contain these “Free Radicals.” “Smoking produces free radicals which are unstable molecules having an odd number of electrons […] Free radicals damage cells in our body and can change DNA resulting in cellular aging […] which can lead to the onset of degenerative diseases such as Cancer” (Treating Yourself. “If There Was Such a Thing as Sensible Smoking”, 40). This being said, smoking Tobacco opens up the body to inhaling these harmful “Free Radicals.” This, therefore, then increases the likelihood of getting Cancer, which is highlighted in a warning statement on every package of cigarettes. This is one of the major differences between Marijuana and Tobacco; Marijuana does not contain these “Free Radicals” and does not open up the window of opportunity to get Cancer.

When people think about the medicinal use of Marijuana, they often only think of it being used for Cancer patients. Nevertheless, Marijuana can be used for many other diseases and illnesses, such as anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Diabetes, but it is most beneficial for people suffering with Glaucoma. Glaucoma is an incredibly painful eye disease that can eventually lead to blindness. Over 2.7 million Americans suffer from this disease. Glaucoma puts an increased amount of pressure on the back of the eyeball, causing damage to the optic nerve, aside from extreme discomfort. This damage is what eventually leads to blindness. Scientists have begun to study the impact of Marijuana smoking on Glaucoma patients: “The National Eye Institute (NEI) studied Glaucoma and Cannabis in the 1970s and concluded that Marijuana, when smoked, lowers intraocular pressure (IOP)” (Treating Yourself. “Cannabis: Eye Candy for Eye Conditions”, 46). This study proved that the swelling in the eyeball and the pressure put onto the Optic Nerve was lessoned with the smoking of Marijuana. If the drug became legalized, at least for medicinal use, people with Glaucoma could have easier access to a better anti-inflammatory. Considering this study was done in the 70’s, our society today most likely has developed better technology to figure out other ways that Marijuana aids Glaucoma, and other disease, patients. However, this is only one example of a disease that is positively affected by Marijuana smoking.

Studies have also been done on Breast Cancer patients because studies have shown that smoking Marijuana can prevent all five forms of Breast Cancer from developing. In the Journal of Cancer Research, they explain, “we show that Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), through activation of CB2 cannabinoid receptors, reduces human breast cancer cell proliferation by blocking the progression of the cell cycle and by inducing apoptosis” (The Journal of Cancer Research. “Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer Cells through Cdc2 Regulation”). Not many people know that Marijuana is capable of blocking the development of Breast Cancer cells. Given the fact that the Journal of Cancer Research has published an article on the use of Marijuana goes to show how effective and beneficial this illegal drug actually is. Marijuana also tends to work the same way with other forms of Cancer, as well. If this drug has the power to prevent Cancer, and can even stop the growth of Cancerous tumors, why is it illegal? Marijuana is actually helping our body, doing the exact opposite of what the public believes. In fact, our body is actually equipped with the ability to break down THC, whether we smoke or not.

The human body has an Endocannabinoid System that is meant to break down THC and Cannabis as a whole. The receptors made for this can actually be found in the brain. Like Dopamine, the neurotransmitters that carry the compounds of Cannabis are transferred throughout the brain; they are just like any other chemical messenger in the brain. These chemical messengers are labeled ECBs. “ECBs are not the same as other neurotransmitters in that they travel both ways through the synapse – Dopamine will generally only go one way […] ‘Endocannabinoids are a synaptic moderator, controlling the amount of neurotransmitter chemicals that pass across the synapses’” (Treating Yourself. “The Endocannabinoid System: The Body’s Internal Cannabinoid”, 35). Although these ECBs are different from regular neurotransmitters, they travel in similar ways through the same synapses. Having these connections in our brains shows that the human body is already predisposed to handle Marijuana. It also shows that Marijuana is a substance that our body is able to break down like a natural body chemical, like Dopamine.

Something that has come about recently is using Marijuana to help your animals with their health problems. A new product has reached the market, called Canna-Pet, that is supposed to treat your animal’s health conditions using Marijuana, much like a human would for medicinal use. On their website, there is plenty of information on how their product works, what types of products they have, what is best for your breed, and most importantly: what it is made of. Their products are made up of “industrial hemp. Specifically, they contain highly concentrated subcritical and supercritical CO2 extracts that are cGMP manufactured on an industrial scale, refined in our US laboratories, and ultimately formulated for palatability and safety” (Canna-Pet). The best part is that they are non-GMO. Their goal is to ensure the highest quality of hemp for your pet in order to provide them with the best results. Their products are said to help dogs and cats who suffer with ear infections, cancer, seizures and other neurological disorders, and several other health complications. Coming from someone who had a Beagle that had multiple health problems (including but not limited to: seizures, ear infections, and an enlarged heart) I wish that a product like this had existed when she was alive. This could have let her live more comfortably, particularly towards the end of her life. A product like Canna-Pet is on the road to revolutionizing pet care and health, as well as the Marijuana industry.

Of course, even healthy things come with some harmful side effects. While Marijuana is very beneficial to the human body, there are some compounds that it contains that are just as harmful, and it may also be the opposite of beneficial for people with serious mental disorders. People who suffer with mental disabilities like Schizophrenia may develop deeper issues through smoking Marijuana. Doctors, Louisa Degenhardt and Wayne Hall, performed a study on Cannabis and its effects on Psychosis patients and found a negative relationship, “Cannabis use worsens or prolongs psychosis among those who have already developed the disorder […] that persons with psychosis are more likely to become regular or problematic cannabis users than persons without psychosis” (Current Psychiatry Reports. “Cannabis and Psychosis”). It was found that people who are already struggling with Psychosis will experience their symptoms stronger when they smoke Marijuana and these people will also abuse the drug more so than people who do not have the disease. A study was also done in London by psychiatrist Robin Murray. He says that:

Psychosis is the ultimate bad trip; an altered mental state that can include hallucinations and severe paranoia. So anyone who has a hallucination or a delusion we would regard as psychotic. Sometimes, these illnesses last for a few days, or a week or two but if it lasts for months or years, we term them with Schizophrenia (BBC3 program, "How drugs work: Cannabis").

His study, done over the course of eight years, proved that smoking Marijuana can induce hallucinations and those already suffering with them, can experience an even worse trip. The hallucinations that come from Marijuana and last for more than a few days or weeks can lead a person so be diagnosed with Schizophrenia; a disease that comes with severe delusions and the loss of control of behavior.

Despite the potential negative effects on those who suffer with more severe disorders, legalizing Marijuana would be incredibly beneficial for so many people who are struggling to keep their diseases, illnesses, and disorders under control. At first, I strongly opposed the use of Marijuana, simply because I knew it was an illegal drug, but I did not know anything about it. After conducting my own thorough research, I realized that it was not as horrible as I originally thought; in fact, it really is not horrible at all. I did not realize how healthy the drug could be to so many people. My grandfather, who suffered with Cancer, Diabetes, and Multiple Myeloma, was prescribed Marijuana in pill form to help with his pain and loss of appetite. When I was younger, I did not understand the medication he was taking and I did not fully understand what his illnesses did to his body. After reading dozens of articles and studies, such as the ones listed above, my eyes were opened up to a whole new perspective on Marijuana use. I now completely support the full legalization of it and hope that one day our country will take the step to legalize it. Smoking Marijuana is also just a much better alternative to smoking cigarettes or even consuming alcohol - both of which are legal, much more harmful for the body and can kill its’ consumers - and is better for the body, in general. Knowing that the body has an Endocannabinoid System, made to break down and process THC, should be enough evidence for the government that Marijuana is not as harmful as they believe. Many of these studies are not the most recent, meaning that researchers have known for longer than we think that Marijuana is not a harmful substance. Making it legal throughout the country, instead of just in sporadic states, would be helping so many Cancer patients, and other disease patients, get on the road to a healthier life. As of right now, 24 out of 50 states, and DC, have legalized Marijuana for medicinal use. While this is a start, it is only one-step out of many on the road to getting America on a higher path.

Works Cited

BBC3. “How Drugs Work, Cannabis: Psychosis.” 2011. 12 April 2015. Online.

Caffarel, María M, Maniel Guzmán, José Palacios, Cristina Sánchez, and Davis Sarrió. “Δ9- Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer Cells through Cdc2 Regulation.” http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/66/13/6615.short. The Journal of Cancer Research. May 2006. 12 April 2015. Online.=

"Canna-Pet® - Hemp Cannabinoid (CBD) Nutrition for Pets." CannaPet Hemp Cannabinoid Nutrition for Pets. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 May 2016.

Degenhardt, Louisa, and Wayne Hall. “Cannabis and Psychosis.” Current Psychiatry Reports. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11920-002-0026-5. Issue 3, Volume 4. 2002. 12 April 2015. Online.

Shrubb, Richard. “The Endocannabinoid System: The Body’s Internal Cannabinoid.” Treating Yourself. Issue 41. 2013. Print.

Smart, Mary Lou. “Cannabis: Eye Candy for Eye Conditions.” Treating Yourself. Issue 41. 2013. Print.