Other Than What I Learned In The Classroom, These Are The 6 Most Important Lessons From Freshman Year

My first year of college has been the toughest year of my entire life but also the most fun and enlightening.

167
Author's photo

It is most definitely crazy to say, but my first year of college is coming to an end. The time has flown by. It seems like just yesterday I was bawling my eyes out, begging my parents not to leave me in my new home or cleaning my bathroom for the first time ever. My first year of college has been the toughest year of my entire life but also the most fun and enlightening. You are completely clueless to the real world coming into college, but after a year, I can honestly say that I have learned so much more than how to prepare an income statement or how to get grease stains out of a t-shirt. I have learned so many important aspects that will stick with me far after college is over.

1. Time management

College is busy, very very busy. You have to do your piles of work for every class you're taking along with having to make time to eat, keep your house somewhat in order, grocery shop, workout and stay healthy, go home to see your family occasionally, extracurricular activities and at least try to fit a social life into your hectic schedule. College has forced me to manage my time and be as productive as possible even when motivation is at it's lowest.

2. How to keep it together when things fall apart.

Just because it seems like your life is ending, whether it's a breakup, family tragedy, friend problems or all of these combined... school and life does not stop. You can't skip a test in college and make it up because you're having a bad day or because something didn't go your way. In the midst of your problems and everything going wrong, college and life do not stop for you.

3. Who deserves your company.

Along with learning time management, you learn which people truly deserve your company and which people you want to surround yourself with. Like I said before, college is super busy and there are so many people being thrown your way at the same time. You consider many people your friends but you learn to decipher who your best friends are... whose company you enjoy and they enjoy yours. People who make you a better person and people who you are honored to surround yourself with.

4. Independence

Before college, I wasn't very familiar with being alone. I was always with friends because of school and sports and when I wasn't with friends, I was with family who I enjoyed spending time with just as much. In college, it's everyone for themselves. You no longer have a mom whose whole entire life revolves around your schedule or friends who have the same demanding softball schedule as you. You have roommates and friends who have different classes and schedules as you and your time together may be far and wide. You spend a lot of time alone because you have your own schedule and demands. You learn to be okay and content with going places alone and doing things on your own.

5. What interests you.

You are now on your own and thinking for yourself fully. You make your own decisions and choose what to be involved in. Along with independence comes learning yourself. You find out what truly interests you, what your passions are and where your heart is.

6. Appreciate it all.

I have learned to appreciate it all. Appreciate the heart breaks, lost friends, all nighters for a test, missing home, loneliness, friends, family.... absolutely all of it. With the good and the bad comes growth. You grow from everything you experience and for that... there is no reason to dwell.