What I Have Learned After Losing The Sport I Love

Though it may seem like the end of the world now, ending a sports career can open your eyes to a whole new world.

443
Cassandra Kemmel

Not every child has the opportunity to find a sport they love and do it through high school and into college. I had that chance and didn't realize what a privilege it was at the time. Injury after injury took their toll on my body, but I kept fighting through them, even when doctors told me to give up. Eventually, I faced three severe head injuries, forcing me to give up my sport of cheerleading after 11 years.

Through Allstar cheerleading, I learned many life lessons such as patience, tolerance, and dedication. Since ending my career, I learned a few lessons as well.

Acceptance is the first. Everything must come to an end at some point, whether it be a night of laughter, weekend trip with friends, or your sports career. Moving on past this is important in being able to move onto the next stage of life.

Appreciation comes quickly after. I learned to value all of the friendships I made with other athletes and coaches over the years. I know I made some lifelong friends who I can always turn to. These relationships will carry through with me onto the next steps of my life.

Independence is next. I used to have a team of 20-35 other girls and coaches whom I could depend on whenever I needed motivation or just was having hard day. Since losing my sport, I have been forced to depend on myself to pick me up when I am down. I do not have as strict of a weekly schedule, being told exactly where and when to be at practice or competitions. I now have to set my own schedule, and need to find my own motivation to work out on my own rather than being with a team.

For those of you are still are able to participate in your chosen sports, cherish the time you have left. Before you know it, your games, competitions, and meets will all come to an end. You will reach your final practice and the tears may flow whether you want them too or not. Your final banquet will come and so will the final speeches. In these many final moments, take a moment and look at everything around you. Take it all in one last time because you will never get these moments back, but will only be able to look back on the memories.

Life does move on after losing your sport. You may cry and feel lost with all the extra time not in practice but you will fill that time. That time can now be used to make more memories with friends, spend extra time with family you may have missed out on, and even dedicating more time to finding yourself and who you want to be now that you're not attached to a sport. Your injury or sport do not define who you are and that is a lesson learned after losing your sport. You are forced to become your own individual, without a team to rely on. This is just a part of growing up and becoming more independent. So whether you've lost your sport already or worry for when you will, know life does go on, and focus on the good times you've had and those relationships you've made throughout that time.