Learning To Relax

Learning To Relax

6 ways to take a breather

34
Learning To Relax
www.docvlee.com

Relaxing is easier said than done. I know personally, even when I’m “relaxing", my mind is traveling a thousand miles per second and I think about everything else I could and should be doing rather than giving myself a break. But giving yourself that time to wind down and relax is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and your health as well. The lack of relaxing and slowing down could lead to high blood pressure, weight-gain, headaches, heart disease and even a heart attack eventually. Here are some ways to truly learn to take a deep breath and relax, even in our busy full-scheduled lives:

Set a bedtime. This sounds silly, but if you tell yourself and follow a bedtime routine, you’ll get better sleep. Better sleep leads to a more productive day, which equals less stress, less chance of a headache and better performance. I have actually implemented this for myself this semester, and although I chose an early bedtime (at 10 p.m. on school nights) you choose one that works for you. This way too, you’ll have a time to look forward to so you can set all that work aside and sleep.

Get into a book (or series). Having a story to look forward to at the end of the night helps me get through my day and accomplish work to be done. Not only does reading help keep me motivated, but just 20 minutes a day, before bed, calms me down, settles my brain of personal issues, gets me sleepy and it enhances my vocabulary. For just 20 minutes a day, you can get more intelligent by reading, and plus now you have another thing to talk about to people, PLUS your imagination can run wild as well (which probably hasn’t happened for a lot of us since elementary school).

1. Burn Incense

This may sound like a weird thing to do for those of you who think incense are for hippies or spiritualists. Incense actually perfume a room better and linger longer than a candle would, they’re safer due to the fact that once they run out in about 30 minutes, they extinguish themselves and the scents are usually calming aromas, or those are the ones you could buy such as lavender or chamomile.

2. Clean your room

Again, this might sound silly but a clear work and sleep space can clear your mind a lot. Plus, it’s one less thing off your to-do list.

3. Use your Planner!

Organization is key to minimizing stress. Having assignments all written out on a calendar can help you know what to do and when to do it, so you’re not pulling that all-nighter the night before that paper, presentation, or assignment is due. This way too, you can hand in your best work and get better grades.

4. Take deep breaths

And count them. It’s been proven that breathing in for a few seconds, holding it in and slowly breathing out slows your heart rate and ultimately calms you down in stressful situations.

5. Set aside time to relax

If you have time to look forward to, such as a lunch with friends or a movie you want to watch, it can help you stay motivated and see an end to your assignments. The key is to stay on task so you get this time to reward yourself.

6. Stretch

Taking a five to 10-minute stretch break can help oxygen flow to your brain and improve blood flow. This can help you stay more energized and give you that extra boost to stay focused through the end of your assignment. There are a ton of other ways to relax and stay motivated, but these are just a few that I’ve used and definitely work wonders! It’s important to stay calm and relaxed, especially now that the semester is in full swing and midterms are around the corner!