Atypical

Atypical

Lander Newest Fraternity

53
Atypical
Angelus Pacific

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not the "frat" kind of guy. I've never been a partier and I've always tried to put an emphasis on helping other people. I've been asked about fraternities and without a second thought, I'd say, "Nope, I'm not interested." Guys in fraternities are about drinking and partying, and I'm just not into that stuff. But every once in a while, you find a group of people that go against the crowd. Guys like myself, who just want to help people. And finally, guys like that are uniting at Lander.

I got a call last week about a new organization opening on campus, saying I had been recommended to join this group. That's all I was told over the phone, and we set a meeting for the next day to talk more about this new club. I show up to a 1-on-1 meeting to hear about this organization and I hear the normal stuff groups say when they're recruiting you. "You'd be a great fit, we can see you doing big things here," stuff like that. The guy then says that this club is interested in helping other people and being different from normal college students. And then I'm told that this group is actually a fraternity. A fraternity called Delta Sigma Phi would be starting on campus and was looking for founding fathers. So naturally, upon learning this, they had my interest.

That same night, I went to an interest meeting with a bunch of other guys who had caught the attention of the recruiters. We watched a video and broke up into groups to discuss what caught our attention. And I can honestly say that every man I spoke to in that room was a man of good character and seemed genuine in their desire to help people. I was surprised to actually see these guys back up what they were saying. College students who aren't normal, men who want to make the world a better place for everyone. Guys of different races and religions, all there and ready to make a positive difference in our community.

Delta Sig is atypical in most aspects. We aren't normal and we don't want to be. If everyone acts the same and thinks the same, our society will stay the same. Nothing gets better without change. This new fraternity, this group of guys is here to be the change. As we grow, so will our impact at Lander, in Greenwood, and in the state of South Carolina. I urge you, if they come to you and invite you into this brotherhood, you'd be wise to listen. Opportunities like this don't come around often, and now is the perfect time to take action. Our world is a depressing place, but this fraternity is coming to be a light in a dark world. Atypical isn't bad, it's unique. We're unique and we're gonna make sure everyone knows it. Time to be the change. #KeepDeltaSigWeird