Ladies, There's Nothing Wrong With Nike Shorts And Leggings

Women deserve respect no matter how they choose to dress.

23
Pexel

Confidence is subjective. Some of us feel our best while dressed to the nines in a pantsuit and heels, while others may feel most beautiful in leggings and a baggy T-shirt. In a trending article I read recently, the author argued that in order to be considered a "grown woman" and be viewed as such, women must dress professionally each day and save comfy clothes for the gym. I find this viewpoint ridiculous, especially coming from another woman.

In certain instances, professional clothing is definitely required. If you're starting a new job or internship, going to a black-tie event, or maybe meeting the President, I would recommend finding yourself an appropriate outfit for the occasion. What truly rubs me the wrong way about the aforementioned article is that the author suggests women should also dress professionally for class, social events, and even while we're on our periods. For those of you who have monthly periods, you know damn well that jeans are not a wise clothing choice on our most painful and bloated days. If a woman chooses to prioritize comfort over style, or her style does not align with preexisting notions of what is socially acceptable, it's really none of your business. If you want to wear professional clothing every single day of your life, feel free, but you won't catch me giving up my leggings or Nike shorts anytime soon.

Despite what that author may think about me based on the way I dress, I'm a grown woman by any standard. I'm a full-time student with a full-time job who pays my own bills yet still attempts to find time to work out, socialize, and spend time with my boyfriend and kitten. Some of my days during the semester are 18 hours long, which includes running from class to dance to work, with little to no time to change in between. Because of my lifestyle, I spend the bulk of my days dressed at least partially in athletic clothes, typically leggings and sneakers. Some days (a lot of days) I don't look my absolute best, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

The author of the article mentions her upbringing as if that somehow excuses her perspective on what women should do with their bodies. I was also taught to dress for success, and to wear something that makes me feel good if I want to prepare myself for a big day. What's missing from the "no leggings or athletic shorts" perspective is the fact that someone else's idea of dressing nicely and feeling confident might be different from your own. The notion that women do not deserve to be taken seriously unless they are dressed professionally is both sexist and exhibits a limited world-view.

Not everyone has the privilege of affording nicer clothing. Not everyone works in offices which require business attire, and many professions require comfortable clothing. Not every job means sitting behind a desk and for the women who stand on their feet for hours on end, heels and dresses aren't always an option. I'm not saying that people shouldn't dress for the life that they want, but sometimes people have to dress for the life they currently have. Should the women who are waitresses, nurses, firefighters, cashiers, teachers, or more be expected to wear dresses or jeans even on their days off? Should any women, or any person, be judged for their desire to spend their free time dressed however the hell they want?

Women face criticism based on how we look and how we dress from all sides. The last thing we need is another woman telling us that we don't deserve to be respected unless we live up to her particular idea of what kind of attire is respectable. Are men still considered "grown-up" if they wear basketball shorts and T-shirts? Are they considered lazy and undeserving of respect when they show up to class in the same sweatpants they wore yesterday? On my campus, I notice far more men than women opting for comfortable outfit choices because they don't have to fear nearly as much criticism from their peers. The bottom line is that no one should feel judged for their clothing choices, regardless of their gender or lifestyle.

I live a busy life and some days don't call for any of my cute H&M blouses, knee-length skirts, or uncomfortable flats. Some days call for hoodies and track pants and iced coffee with my housemates in the library until five A.M. Some days call for yoga pants and a sports bra at work because I didn't have time to change out of my dance clothes before my shift started. Some days call for a few extra minutes of sleep over doing my makeup.

Every day calls for wearing whatever makes you feel comfortable in your own skin, and never judging anyone else for what makes them comfortable in theirs.