The Lack Of Love In The Police Disputes

The Lack Of Love In The Police Disputes

Where is the Love?

11
The Lack Of Love In The Police Disputes
Flickr

My heart continues to break as I hear of more and more cases of police brutality, and my soul continues to shutter as I hear about police lives being taken. These incidents have left children without fathers, have left horrific images in the minds of loved ones, and have ultimately taken away someone's right to live. This tears me apart.

Yes, black lives matter. Yes, blue lives matter. Every life is precious and is a gift from God. There seems to be many issues that the media focuses on such as gun control. But if we truly dig to the roots of these tragic events, I believe it all falls back on a lack of love. Our heavenly Father has called us to love one another as He has loved us. These hateful crimes do not depict what humankind is called to do.

It is time for a change of heart and a change in focus. I believe our nation, as a whole, could benefit from opening our ears and listening to one another. Humanity needs love, but it is longing for love more than ever in these appalling times. This is not something that can be changed by tomorrow, it will be something that we will have to truly invest in and work towards.

The Black Eyed Peas released a song in 2003 titled "Where is the Love?" These lyrics speak to my heart and can speak to our hurting nation if we are willing to listen.

"What's wrong with the world, mama
People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think the whole world addicted to the drama
Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma

Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin'
In the USA, the big CIA
The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK

But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah

Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach?
Or would you turn the other cheek?

Father, Father, Father help us
Send some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love?"

Rest in peace to the victims of police brutality and to those officers who lost their lives.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

1 Corinthians 13:4-5