Where Do YOU See Kyrie Irving in the 2017-18 Season?

Will Kyrie Irving stick with King James through turbulent times or create a kingdom of his own crown?

20
The New York TImes

When Cleveland Cavalier point guard, Kyrie Irving, announced that he wanted to be traded this off-season, bedlam flooded the NBA. In the thirteen months since winning his first NBA championship with super-power player LeBron James and the Cavaliers, Irving has decided that his sidekick-like role is no longer beneficial to his career. NBA analysts are attributing Irving's request for a trade to him wanting to be on a team where he is the star player, not just King James's co-star. The Cavaliers' owner Dan Gilbert, the first person to receive word of this breaking news, was immediately paralyzed at the revelation that the Cavalier kingdom could soon be crumbling apart. As the news reached the ears of LeBron James, he informed ESPN reporters that he was "blindsided" by Irving's decision to pack up and ship off of the home court of The Buckeye State. Kyrie Irving has reportedly warned general managers across the league that wherever he lands, he wants to be in a light that shines brightly on him, allowing him to develop into a king of his own. Where do you see Kyrie planting seeds of new fortune after uprooting himself from Cleveland?... if he decides to part ways at all.

Click here for more information about Kyrie's trade request:

1. Kyrie Stays in Home with LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)

Although Kyrie Irving does want to be traded, it is probable that he will stay in Cleveland against his will. Let's be honest... the Cavalier organization has the final word in the Irving trade so they are more likely to keep him than let him go. Their most pivotal piece and BEST player in the league, LeBron James, has already been discussing leaving Cleveland after his Player Option is activated in 2018 (once again). If the Cavs were to trade Kyrie this year and watch LeBron leave next year, they would be putting themselves in the same spot they were in during the 2010-11 season, during which they chalked up a miserable record of 19-63. However, hope still raises its little head above the horizon for the Cavs-- Kyrie and LeBron could stick together through the off-season storm of Summer '17 and begin the regular season with willful ambition. Their dominant play styles could lead them to their fourth straight NBA finals appearance, placing them that much closer to another championship. Think of it this way: LeBron and Kyrie are two older parents whose relationship is seemingly losing its spark. Another championship would be the "hope baby" that will instill a brighter future for Cleveland's franchise.

2. Kyrie Retraces LeBron's steps and takes his Talents to South Beach (Miami Heat)

Even though Kyrie Irving would have substantial help and a bright future with the Miami Heat, it would not be in his best interest to go play for them. Taking his talents to South Beach would put Kyrie in LeBron's everlasting shadow. He would forever be compared to LeBron James legacy-wise, defeating the purpose of him leaving the Cavs in the first place. However, if Kyrie is able to ignore the stigma and criticism he may receive after mimicking LeBron's "Big Decision of 2010", the Heat would surely become a deep playoff contender in East once again. With the support of young big men such as Hassan Whiteside and Justise Winslow and zealous scoring guards such as Goran Dragić and Dion Waiters, Kyrie Irving would be a solid addition to and the superstar of the Miami Heat after a season or two.

3. Kyrie Travels West and Saddles Up with Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs)

The respect Kyrie Irving has for San Antonio Spurs' coach, Gregg Popovich has been noted by NBA fans for years, even in Irving's year at Duke University in 2010-11. Popovich is one of the most formidable coaches in NBA history, known for his ability to create fundamental systems of basketball that lead to high game-winning percentages. With non-flashy but well-rounded players such as Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, and LaMarcus Aldridge, and Pau Gasol, Popovich led his team to a 2016-17 season record of 61-21 (second best record in the NBA). If winning is what Kyrie wants to do, the Spurs would be a good place for him to play. Unfortunately, word on road is that Kyrie wants to play somewhere where he will be the guaranteed superstar and that may not be the definitive result of him signing to San Antonio.

4. Kyrie Kicks it in New York to Represent Jersey (New York Knicks)

The three biggest incentives of Kyrie Irving signing to the New York Knicks include the offensive help he would get from scoring maestro Carmelo Anthony, the all-around help he would receive from up and coming center Kristaps Porziņģis, and the fact that the New York Knicks are basically New Jersey's (Kyrie's home state) surrogate NBA team. In a perfect world, Kyrie Irving would join the New York Knicks, take the league by storm alongside Anthony and Porziņģis, and contend for an NBA Eastern Conference finals appearance. However, neither the world nor the NBA is perfect, and anything could happen. The Knicks could continue to experience disappointing season after disappointing season, leaving Kyrie high and dry as a superstar who cannot make the playoffs-- just like Carmelo Anthony. If Kyrie Irving is willing to not win any more rings in his career and just be known as a high-profile player, the Knicks are a good fit for him, but his character speaks higher of him than a guy who will settle for superficial recognition.

5. Kyrie Joins the Minnesota Pack to Team Up with the T-Wolves (Minnesota Timberwolves)

The Minnesota Timberwolves... a team that has arguably had the greatest off-season of 2017. The Timberwolves traded for scoring beast Jimmy Butler and also signed ball-handling genius Jamal Crawford to their tea as well. These two players would play complementary roles to Kyrie Irving as he also is a pro at scoring and ball-handling. Not only would Kyrie have these two guards at his side but he would also have Karl Anthony Townes to accompany him. Townes has poured in astronomical numbers to help the Timberwolves each game, even though they finished thirteenth place in the West. The Timberwolves also have an incredibly talented Andrew Wiggins at the small forward spot. These four stars would all take a passenger-side seat next to Kyrie Irving if he proves himself hungry enough to be the superstar. Either way, the Timberwolves have the depth and youth that Kyrie Irving needs to solidify himself as a promising young NBA point guard. If he does sign to Minnesota, be ready for dozens of action packed games and memorable highlights.