I know what to do, but I don't do it why?

In times of clarity

7259

Hey Guys,

Today I wanted to talk about something that I have been struggling with internally. Let's say you have this goal you want to achieve and you know what you have to do in order to achieve that goal, but you don't do it? but you don't have a specific reason of why you can't do it. Is it because you know what you have to do and you are just taking the time for granted?

I tried to talk about this with a couple people like my dad, but he just says "why don't you do it?" but that's the question that I'm struggling to find an answer for internally, so I decided to take things into my own hands and do some research on why I'm not able to do the things I have to do to achieve that certain goal. It isn't that I'm not capable of it, it's just that something else is missing that I can't pin point. Maybe that certain trait is a compilation of multiple things? After doing extensive research here's what I found:

1. Being Comfortable

We have this daily routine in our lives that we find comfort in. Most of us don't take risks because we are afraid of the outcome, so we just stick with what we do on a daily basis and just have that what if feeling linger within ourselves. In my life my dad pushes my brother and I to constantly try new things, but more than half of them I don't follow through because I'm scared. I'm scared that it won't work, I'm scared what others would think of me, I'm scared that all my time and effort will be a waste if the end result doesn't work, all in all I'm just scared, so I just come with an excuse of why I can't do it or put it off till later so that's its forgotten. The feeling of fear will always be there; unfortunately there isn't a switch that I can turn on for this feeling to go away; the only solution is to just do it. As scary as it may seem and sound we will never know the outcome if we just stick with what we are doing everyday. There will be pain, there will be other motives, there will always be something, so take a stand like I'm doing now. I put things off, but now I'm taking charge and writing this article that I have been procrastinating on even though I just want to take a nap. Push yourself you never know what you're capable of if you're stuck in your comfort zone.

2. Lifestyle

I didn't realize that what I ate on a daily basis played a big role on my actions. Freshman year of college having the freedom and luxury, I ate whatever I wanted with little to no exercise. In return I was so lethargic and just wanted to sleep all the time. The things that should take about 15-20 minutes to do took me around an hour to complete. I put little to no effort on some assignments, it wasn't that I wanted to it was that my body wouldn't let me. I learned the lesson the hard way and my GPA took a toll. This year however I changed my lifestyle around. Whenever I can I try to go to the gym two to three times a week, I'm eating healthy, drinking a lot of smoothies, and six bottles of water a day. It didn't take long for my actions to turn around as well. I feel more alive, I get things done faster, and I'm able to grasp information more quickly. I still have a long way to go, but a little progress is better than nothing.

3. Doing

Before we pursue something we do a lot of research; we talk to people that have been in a similar situation or in my case I like to read and just mentally prepare myself. For example coming into college I wanted a 4.0, in order to achieve that I read so many article written by various different people. I read and read, finished my first semester, but I didn't get a 4.0. In fact I didn't get anywhere close to it. The problem was I wasn't implementing what I read into practice. The only way to figure out what I'm doing wrong is by putting it into practice. The thing is reading isn't doing. Talking about it is doing. The only way to do is by doing, which I wasn't doing.

After doing research and looking into my life these are just some of the reasons on why I'm not able to push myself to do the things that I need to get done. I hope this article provided you with some insight on why you might also not able to pursue certain things.