To Kneel Or Not To Kneel

To Kneel Or Not To Kneel

America's sport has been the spark of many political debates this past month.

73
To Kneel Or Not To Kneel
NPR

DISCLOSURE: As a writer and an American, I know that I have my right to freedom of speech. I feel that it is necessary to talk about controversial topics like this because I know that with a platform I am able to possibly give a different view to someone on the opposing side because I know that I would love to hear the opposing side's view as well. I have no intention of offending anybody who reads this, just simply writing about what I think. I ask those that do not agree with my opinion to respect me and my statements as I would do with yours. Thank you and happy reading!

Throughout the past couple months, the NFL has transformed from the sport of America to the sport that has divided America. For those who have no clue what I am talking about, players throughout the NFL have started to kneel during the National Anthem to protest against police brutality. Whether you love it or hate it, its been the topic sweeping the nation and has even caught the President's attention.

First, lets talk about the meaning behind kneeling. This has spread like an infectious disease throughout the past month, however, this whole thing started last year when previous San Francsico 49ers Quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, took a knee during the National Anthem with the message of disapproval for what he says are the wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities. He stated, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color".

Since then, more so over the past couple weeks, several NFL players have started to stand, or should I say, kneel with the now-free agent Colin Kaepernick. This has sparked tremendous amounts of political debate, and has resulted to those expressing their empathy with the NFL players, and those expressing their disbelief in America's sport. Many of those disgusted with the decisions made posted videos of the burning of jerseys, season tickets (wow that's a lotta money) etc. Many who were in support of the act went to twitter and other social medias to praise the decisions made during those games.

As for my take on the subject, I'd say its very in between. I do believe that the kneeling during our nation's national anthem is disrespectful most especially because I am very thankful for the work our servicemen have done to protect us and give us the right to freedom of speech and I do believe that this could be seen as a stab in a back to those courageous men and women. I do believe that as an American, you should be proud, no matter the situation. I believe we should be just as proud to listen to the National Anthem as those who go to college football or basketball games and stand in the student section screaming their school's Alma mater and fight song.

HOWEVER, I strongly believe that kneeling during the National Anthem does not intend to be disrespectful. Like stated earlier, as Americans, we each have a right to freedom of speech, and while this is a silent speech, it definitely sends a message. That message to me isn't a message of hate for America, it isn't a message intended to turn away from those who serve our nation, it simply is a message to spread awareness.

I'll say it straight, minorities, African Americans in particular, are oppressed. I firmly believe that racism is still a very relevant topic today. I feel that we are plagued by stereotypes of race-- white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. Stereotypes of the right and the left side of politics. Stereotypes of gender. Stereotypes that are not one-hundred percent true for every person regardless of what qualities and opinions they have.

In addition to this, I'd like to state again that EVERY American has the right to freedom of speech. American is not a color, American is colors. Each player, coach, owner etc. on that field is a different color. One thing I'd like to note is that not every player I saw was kneeling, some were standing. Every player on that field made a decision, and they stuck with it because they had freedom of speech, they were American. The most meaningful thing I got out of the dramatic events that transpired, was that the players who were kneeling and standing had their arms locked with each other. Those who stood had their hands on the shoulders on their teammates who knelt.

In my "A Unified Marquette" article (please feel free to give a read), I talked about the idea of pushing away the differences in order to compromise a solution. This was a prime example of that. Its more of what I'd like to see in a nation that I feel is becoming more divided by the minute, and sometimes by the tweet.

One compromise was that I saw was made Monday night by the Cowboys and Cardinals where both teams kneeled, arms locked, before the National Anthem. I one-hundred percent approve this, send a message, no disrespect.

So there you have it, that's my opinion. I feel negative about kneeling during the National Anthem, but I do praise the courage the players had to send their message, I love that they used their platform to make a statement, just like I am using my platform to spread mine. Their message shouldn't be thrown away to the side anymore, its 2017 and with a world full of hate, the least we can do is smile at the other side and respect them.