The Importance Of Your High School Friends

I will always cherish you all.
11

Ah, high school. It seems so long ago, yet it was just two years ago. Personally, high school was some of the best years of my life (although people have very differing opinions). A lot changed during high school: boys, clothing style, hair, etc. But there's one thing that pretty much consistently stayed strong all four years: my friends. A lot changes during high school, and the friends in high school are the ones who kept you grounded and pushed you through the troubles of high school.

Now we're out of high school, going on to different colleges and different career choices. Some people stay close with their friends from high school, some don't. And when they don't, they blame it on distance. But let me tell you something: distance does not matter! From a girl who is in a long distance relationship and was the only one from her friend group to go to the University of Dayton, I can tell you how much distance doesn't matter. Yes, it makes it harder, but the amount of effort you put into being in contact with your friends and visiting them is up to you.

When I went off the college, I was scared but also ready to experience new things and make new friends. Something I've found very important is to love and enjoy all these new things happening in your life, but don't forget about your friends from high school. These are the people you are going to spend all of your breaks and summer with because you missed each other so much. These are the people that you are going to be able to revisit those old high school memories with. These are the people that you're going to be able to text or call when you need something because your people at college just don't get it.

This is a thank you to all the friends I'm still close with from high school and this is a wake up call for people who have lost touch. There are too many upsetting stories about people who loose touch with their high school friends. Don't be one of those. I don't care how many friends you've made in college. Never forget the ones who helped get you there.