New Year, New Me

New Year, New Me

Tips for keeping that New Years Resolution

4
New Year, New Me

I’ve always been opposed to New Year’s Resolutions; if you’re going to make a change, you can do that at any given time. But this year, I found myself making a list of things I wanted to accomplish in 2016: First, save money. I buy too much. I can spend $300 in a single outing to Target, when I’d only intended to stop in for a card. Second, eat better. I’m 22 years old, and my cholesterol is high. High cholesterol runs in my family, and I’ve fallen victim to it. Eating healthy can only help, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. Next, I'd like to nap less. I nap far too frequently for someone who is not in kindergarten and is not a cat. I hope to break the habit of napping and have more energy. And finally, I'm working on getting a Beyonce booty. All of my extra weight goes straight to my stomach and my thighs, so I’m trying to lose those extra pounds and squat my way to a Beyonce booty. (So far, I’m still in possession of a Miley booty; I will keep you all posted)

Undoubtedly, four resolutions is a lot for me. I have absolutely no self control, but I know what I want to change, so I’m giving it my best shot. These are the steps I’m taking; join me and let’s resolve to keep our resolutions together:

1. Create inspiration: I changed the wallpaper on my phone to a picture of Beyonce, I’ve printed out pictures of my ideal “body goals,” and I’ve started following health and wellness blogs. Don’t wait for inspiration! Inspire yourself.
  2. Resist temptation: This seems obvious and is way easier said than done. For example, I get home from work and usually head straight for my bed to check social media or watch TV, and then I end up falling asleep. I’ve begun trying to sit at the kitchen table or clean when I get home to avoid climbing into my bed because once I get in, the fight is lost. Busy yourself with something to distract you, and fight the temptation. If I can avoid naps then you can do anything.
  3. Treat yourself: You are allowed to have cheat days. Do not make every day a cheat day.
  4. Find someone to push you: It’s not easy to do it alone; find someone who wants to help and make them promise to keep you on track. My boyfriend makes me work out and I cuss him out the whole entire time, but he still does it. And even though I hate him at the time, I’ll be thankful when I see results.

Legend has it that it takes 21-30 days to break or make a habit. HowStuffWorks begs to differ, claiming that it depends on the person, but that repeating a behavior can be beneficial. “The more a behavior is repeated, the more likely it is that it will become ‘instinctive.’” Meaning, if you train yourself to work out on a regular schedule, it almost becomes second nature. Thus far, six days has not been enough time for working out to become second nature to me (I got a late start; give me a break.) However, with the help of my “personal trainer” (my boyfriend), I’ve kept chipping away at it, even if it’s only for ten minutes a day.

Let’s make this the year we all stick to our resolutions. Together, we can!