Just To Be Still And Know

Just To Be Still And Know

It is in the silence that He speaks volumes.

320
Just To Be Still And Know
Public Domain PIctures

“Be still, and know that I Am God;

I will be exalted among the nations,

I will be exalted in the Earth.” (Psalm 46:10)

Being still is a foreign concept in the fast-paced culture of deadlines and due dates. Attention grabbers penetrate from every side and our minds remain in a state of constant stimulation. Caught in the constant noise, the flashing lights often blind us from the Light we all need. Yet we are told to be still.

On top of Mount Horeb, the LORD told Elijah to go out and stand on the mountain for His Presence was soon to pass by. A powerful wind came and tore into the mountains, “but the LORD was not in the wind.” Then came an earthquake, “but the LORD was not in the earthquake.” Then came a fire, “but the LORD was not in the fire.” After the fire came a “still small voice.” God came to Elijah through a whisper and Elijah was attentive to His call. (1 Kings 19:9-18)

The chaos confuses us and the whirlwind blurs our vision, but communion with Him provides a deeper understanding of Who He is. He beckons us to know Him in a truer and more intimate way where all else pales in light of Who He proves to be. What if our greatest blessings come from our moments of silence before the Throne?

Quiet the chatter and calm the restlessness. Unplug and unwind to listen to what He has to say.

Be still, and know, He says. Come to me, He calls.

To the busy student and the overwhelmed mother. To the wayward child and the struggling parent. To the poor and the lonely. To the hopeless and the helpless. To the sick and the searching. To the tired and downtrodden. To all the weary souls of the world.

Aren’t we all in need of a refreshing?

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I Am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)