Joys And Struggles Of Being An Extrovert

Go inside the mind of an extrovert

78
Hubspot

All of my life I have been the person who could honestly talk to anyone if given a chance. Whether it be making friends quickly, striking up solid conversation, or simply being able to talk to strangers, I have always had an outward personality. I have always been an extrovert.

Extrovert is defined by Merriam-Webster as a friendly person who likes being with and talking to other people; an outgoing person. This definition is simply the first portion found in the dictionary, but it describes the understanding of an extrovert to a T. Someone who likes to talk and be around other people. There is not a day that goes by that I love being with my friends or having someone to talk to. Whether it be for hours on end or a quick 10 minute conversation, being given the chance to interact with others is always something that I and other extroverts live for.

I have never had to worry about being able to talk in front of people or describe myself when called for. No matter the occasion my personality can guide me through any presentation and easily allow me to give you my entire life story if I wanted, but we’ll stick with my name and age. Being an extrovert means that you can be confident in yourself and your abilities as a leader and an individual.

Being an extrovert has some downsides, though. While, yes, being outgoing and outspoken can be labeled as a positive thing, extroverts are often lumped together as being loud and obnoxious individuals. This has happened to me on several occasions, but it's something you just have to work past. I have always reminded myself that, yes, I can be loud, but I can also speak my mind and allow others to listen to what I have to say, even if they may not want to. Being an extrovert can be put down by others who don’t know your personality, but it’s those people who wont grasp the idea that extroverts are strong, happy, loud individuals who can get the job done.

While being an extrovert has its ups, there is also a fact of many extroverted personalities that can be described as a downing affect: the extroverts need to be an introvert… sometimes. Being outgoing, outspoken, talkative and loud does not come without a price. If my extrovert is worn out, there is no doubt in my mind that I need alone time. Extroverts need time to recover and recharge the extrovert for the next day. Extroverts who need introversion can be some of the most savage individuals you will ever meet, myself included. So before you jump to a conclusion, remember that extroverts need alone time, too -- mostly, so that we don't destroy you.

Remember, the next time you meet an extrovert to not judge them before you truly know them. You never know -- maybe the loud, obnoxious kid may end up being one of your most outspoken, genuine friends.