25 journaling prompts for someone wanting to self-reflect

25 Journaling Prompts For Someone Looking To Find Out More About Themselves

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

55

I love to journal but sometimes I find it hard to find the right thing to write. Self-reflection is hard but it is an important process to keep in mind. Here are 25 prompts to make deciding what to write about easy.

I could not imagine living life without...

This is a good prompt because it lets the writer realize what they truly appreciate in life. Sometimes, you do not realize what you are grateful for until reflecting on a question like this. It helps one see the beauty in the little things, even when living a busy life.

Write about your first love.

This can be a person, place, or thing. It does not always have to be a boyfriend/girlfriend you had in high school. It can be New York City under the city lights or your first stuffed animal. We either choose to forget this memory or just do not have time to reflect on it when it is important to do so for your own personal growth.

I feel happiest in my own skin when...

Knowing what makes you feel truly yourself and comfortable is important for living a happy life. If you realize that wearing a certain type of shirt, doing your hair a certain way, or even just starting the day with a workout makes you feel confident can truly change your routine for the better. Giving thought to this topic and putting it on paper can help make the discovery that leads to a major shift in confidence levels.

Write the words you need to hear later. 

This can be nice to go back to when you are feeling down. Knowing that you have something written that may cheer you up can be self assuring for when things get hard or you are unhappy.

What scares you?

Sometimes, you have to look what scares you straight in the eyes and overcome it. Writing it down and thinking about it gives you a chance to decide if it is rational or not. If it is something "silly" like clowns or serious like dying, it is good to face those fears and figure out why it scares you in the first place!

What is your plan for your life as of right now?

I know, this seems like a scary, big question, but it can be nice to really think out your goals and aspirations. It is also nice to look back on your goals in 5 or 10 years and evaluate how they have changed since.

That most fun I have ever had in my life was...

This is a cool prompt because it lets your reflect on a time where you were joyous and happy. Whatever the time was made you happy for a reason. You are able to relive that moment and figure out how to create new memories that will allow you to feel that sense of happiness again.

Who do you need to forgive, and why? What is stopping you from forgiving them?

Having this reflection can allow the writer to make peace with the trauma that may have happened and made them upset. Understanding why you are unhappy with someone is the first step; knowing why you have not forgiven yet is the second. Holding grudges is unhealthy for humans and forgiving can decrease stress and anger levels.

Use a quote as a journaling prompt.

Do you have a favorite quote? Why not elaborate on it and make a prompt out of it. If I like a certain quote, why not explain why I like it and make it my own.

Three things you want in a relationship.

This is a good time to discover what you want in a relationship. This can be romantic, friendship or both. Relationships come and go, you should prepare what you want for the next one you find coming your way.

The holiday tradition I most look forward to is... 

This is a nice little keepsake to have for when you have a family someday and you can recreate these traditions or make them your own. Traditions are really cool and something to value and think about even when it is not the holiday season.

If you could change one thing about your current life, what would it be? 

If you think about it and find something you want to change, then you can go ahead and make the change. Reflection on this will allow the writer to decide what they are unhappy about then decide if that is a feasible change to make. IF you can make the change, then you should and live the life you want to live.

If you could live anywhere you wanted, where would you live?

Like the latter, this is a good way to see if the place you are living is truly making you happy. If the place you want to live is within reach, maybe look for a job, school, or something else out there and just do it. You will never know unless you try.

What would you tell your 5-year-old self?

Whatever you think you would tell your 5-year-old self, may be something you should tell your current self too. For example, if you want to tell little you to say "yes" to everything, maybe you should start saying yes to everything too. It can be a good focus point for things you may need to change.

What is the best advice I have ever been given? 

Giving thought to the best piece of advice you have been given can actually help you ingrain that advice into your head. Sometimes, you need to be reminded of good advice so you can begin to implement it once again in your life.

Assuming that your life is a story and you are the author, what does your happy ending look like? 

We all have a vision of the perfect happy ending. Sometimes, it is not a realistic answer. But that does not mean it is not okay to dream about it. It is important to have dreams and goals for your life. There is no dream too big as well because then at least you are getting better reaching for this goal.

If you could be president for one day, what would you do and why? 

Politics is not everyones favorite topic but it is important to think about it. Maybe whatever you would do can be a goal that you start to try to change yourself. If you would want to start a bill for climate change, you should take actions to prevent climate change on your end. You are only one person, but reducing your carbon footprint can go a long way. This is just an example, but there are plenty of passions you may have that you can create a change in.

Write down your deepest darkest secrets that you feel like you cannot tell anyone

When your secrets feel too big, writing them down or typing them in a document can lift a huge weight off your shoulders. Once you write it down, it will not feel as scary or as burdening. This may lead to the courage to tell the person you are closest too.

Create a bucket list

Bucket lists are fun to create because they give you something physical to check off every time you do something fun. They can be big, small, fun, or serious but it is always nice to check things off the list.

Just write about your daily activities

I do not know about you but I love a good memory book. It can be super fun to look back on your life and say "hey, I remember this lunch with my coworkers!" or "I cannot believe I forgot about this night out with my friends"

What does your dream house look like? 

I love envisioning things like this for my future. Personally, I am not the type to plan my wedding ahead of time but my future house, I already have the blueprints. Including pictures or cutouts is also super fun just to help you plan your future.

My idea of a perfect day is...

It is just fun to think about combining all of your favorite things. For me, the perfect day would be waking up early, taking a long hot shower after (maybe) working out. Having a big breakfast and watching a movie while sipping a latte from my favorite, local coffee shop. Having sushi for lunch. Taking a power nap. Going out for a nice dinner and a night on the town and then doing a whole self care routine when I get home.

Write about a leader that inspires you. What about them do you admire? 

This is another way to reflect about how you can better yourself in the end. This question can lead you to become a better person and pick up some of these traits that you admire.

What would you do if there was no consequences? 

This is an interesting question to me to get a grasp of where your morals are. Some people may have a little more aggressive answer than others but that is okay!

How often do you take risks?

Taking risks is not for everyone but reflecting on why you do or do not take a lot of risks will help a lot to see who you are.

Have fun, guys!