Jo's Declassified College Survival Guide: Organization Edition

"Being organized is one of the first steps to overcoming and actually benefiting from the institution you attend."

112
Joanna Raines

High school was a time to let loose, while still doing your schoolwork, but ultimately having fun and doing basically nothing. College is a much different game. College requires more effort, time and productivity. Thankfully, I haven't had too much of an issue getting organized responsibly but it's still hard to keep up with everything at once sometimes.

1. Memo Pads

You may call them something different but I'm talking about the big yellow sheets sealed onto a blue strip. These bad boys are perfect for class. My grandmother got me fifteen in bulk last Christmas so I've been using them in every class. What I do is jot everything down in my own customized shorthand way(but if you know shorthand, use that) from whatever PowerPoint or visual is present and from the professor's commentary. It's much easier to just have memo scratch sheets so that you don't have to worry about organizing your notes in class and will be more focused on the lesson.

2. Worshiping Blue Ink

It's psychologically proven that you remember blue ink better than black ink. A two pack lasts me for each semester. They're durable and easy to write with and they're perfect for memo pads. Find them at any store that carries writing utensils.

3. Spiral Notebooks

I tried. I really tried to use composition books forever. They worked so well in high school when we had to cram ten things in our book bags, but spiral books are so much easier to maintain for college. They're so much easier to organize and you can pack a ton of subjects in one. This semester I simply bought a one subject and a three subject one and that's all I needed for my notes. After you've jotted everything down on the memo pads, head back to your dorm and take your time to re-write them and organize everything exactly how you need to effectively study.

4. Fine Tip Felt Pens

These. Are. A. Godsend. Seriously. I use these for everything. My agenda, my 'pretty' notes, drawing, whatever. I use these mostly to color code my spiral notebooks. I found them on Amazon for only $5.99. They don't bleed through most papers and glide very smoothly.

5. The Yellow Pen

If you're anything like me, you like to have a purpose for everything in your study supplies. I always hated the yellow pen and the white colored pencil because they served me no purpose and just sat there unused. The good thing about the pens mentioned above is that they're perfect for annotating texts and highlighting with the lighter colors. The yellow isn't great for writing, but it's perfect for highlighting and accentuating quotes. My whole study set feels complete now.

6. Staying Hydrated and Healthy

After working at a nursing home, I know how important it is to wash your hands and keep yourself from catching or giving anything to anyone. Your body will focus on your physical needs before anything else. That's why you can't sleep with a full bladder and cannot focus with an empty stomach or runny nose. Make sure you keep yourself completely hydrated, fed, and energized by drinking plenty of fluids, eating regularly, and getting adequate sleep hours.

College is only intimidating as you make it. Being organized is one of the first steps to overcoming and actually benefiting from the institution you attend. Stay healthy, study well, and keep your notes handy and neat for a great semester.