Jon Stewart: My Daily Influence

Jon Stewart: My Daily Influence

One year after exiting "The Daily Show," Jon Stewart still plays a major role in my life.

27
Jon Stewart: My Daily Influence
Vanity Fair

Between August of 2012 and August 6, 2015, I watched 472 episodes of "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart. I spent 10,384 minutes and 173 hours watching Jon highlight the day’s headlines. Whenever my family would return from a vacation, our first order of business was to watch all of the episodes we missed. It was difficult to watch Jon Stewart’s last show on August 6, 2015, it felt like I had lost a friend.

Going to a small catholic school, most of my friends and their families were much more conservative than mine. I often bumped heads with my friends over politics. At young ages, we were doing little more than repeating the talking points we heard our parents discuss, but I prided myself on trying to stay up to date with what was going on in the world. I remember in having an Obama sticker on my backpack, and coming home asking why kids told me that he “wanted to kill babies.” A few years later, two girls ripped up their Presidential Fitness Award certificates because of President Obama’s signature on the document. I grew up accustomed to being in the minority when it came to politics.

Flipping channels one of those late August nights, my life changed. I always liked to watch late night talk shows, but "The Daily Show" seemed different. Here was a guy, telling jokes, all while talking about topics that I was interested in. I remember laughing and feeling informed at the same time. My parents both liked the show, but were never nightly watchers; that would change. With each and every episode, I felt that I was learning more and more about the problems America was facing. When debates would arise at school, I always had Jon Stewart quotes to back my arguments up. When I eventually got to high school and joined the forensics (competitive public speaking) and debate teams, my speeches would often include references to "The Daily Show."

In Jon Stewart, I found a friend that I had never had before. Growing up with the best parents in the world, I did not see him as some sort of father figure. Even though he was somebody I had never met, I felt like I had made a friend. His background was different than my own. Born into a Jewish family, his parents split up when he was young. In school, while facing anti-semitic bullying, he was able to maintain popularity with his female classmates. After graduating from the College of William & Mary, he felt lost in the world. He worked odd jobs, ranging from a puppeteer to a bartender, trying to find himself.

In New York City, like so many comedic giants before and after him, Jon found himself. Despite nerves at first, he mustered the courage to try stand up comedy. Honing his craft over the following years, he eventually landed the occasional writing gig or television appearance. In 1993, his first big break came as host of “The Jon Stewart Show” on MTV. Despite positive reviews and stellar guests, the series ran only for two seasons. Despite the setback, Jon Stewart did not give up.

In 1999, Jon’s life, and late night history, would change forever. With “The Jon Stewart Show” in his rear view mirror, he took over "The Daily Show." Gearing its focus towards politics and current events, he added a new point of view to late night. Blending political satire with his own brand of humor, the show gained a following after its coverage of the 2000 election. More and more people of the younger generation began to tune in to the show as the years progressed. Throughout every election year and years in between, "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart at the helm was there to hold politicians accountable. Although Jon claimed they were doing nothing more than making jokes, many fans felt differently.

Jon Stewart’s exit from "The Daily Show" came at a pivotal time in my life. No longer the middle schooler immersed in current events, I was now a high schooler immersed in current events. It was different though because I had met new people and made new friends. The friends I had made shared similar interests to me. I had more people to talk about issues with besides my loving family. My political opinions had grown to be more nuanced and refined. Despite the heartbreak I felt when he signed off for the final time, I felt that maybe I didn’t need him like I once did. I now had a more diverse friend group and had begun to find myself in the world. The lessons I learned from him would live with me even after a new host took over. Despite not knowing him in person, he was a friend.

Looking back a year ago, I have made even more friends with similar interests and have continued making my way in the world. The spark ignited by "The Daily Show" within me continues to glow, even as Jon Stewart goes on to do bigger and better things. My philosophies, humor, and politics were shaped in part by Jon Stewart. I often look back at those nights seated next to my dad as we watched "The Daily Show" and discussed what Jon was discussing, seeing how the person I am today was shaped by those times. As I journey through life, I will always be able to count on the love of my family and the wisdom of Jon Stewart. Whether it’s a debate at a competition or at the lunch table, his words stay with me: “I’m not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance.”