Joining A Sorority Wasn't The Plan
Friendships

Joining A Sorority Wasn't The Plan

But it was the best decision I have made so far in my college career.

128
Joining A Sorority Wasn't The Plan
Personal photo

My first week on campus as a freshman. I remember going to a fair that had all the students groups on campus. As an introvert, I was instantly overwhelmed. There were so many groups to talk to.

I remember talking to the different groups and sororities on campus. They all were amazing, but none of them felt quite right for me. As someone who went through high school without participating in extracurricular activities, I was prepared to do the same through college. Sleep, Eat, Study, that was the plan.

After finishing my freshman year and moving into sophomore year, I realized this wasn't working for me. I had very few friends on campus, and I was extremely isolated from campus. I knew I needed to do something about it but I wasn't quite sure what. I had already become too comfortable within my routine.

That was until I was invited to a recruitment event for my friend's sorority. I was hesitant to go because I didn't think a sorority would be right for me, but I am thrilled that I stepped out of my comfort zone.

Joining Phi Sigma Sigma has really helped me to grow as a person. I used to have terrible anxiety when presenting in class. My legs would shake very badly and it always felt like I was going to drown. Now I am able to present without a problem.

Also, Phi Sig has helped me make a lot of friends. The sisterhood really supports each other and it really refreshing to watch women build each other up. Joining has given me a passion for something other than school, it has given me a greater cause to fight for.

Although it wasn't in the plan I am extremely grateful for the friendships I have made in my sisterhood. I am now surrounded by women that support me and push me to do better. If you have ever considered something and thought it wasn't for you, take another look at it, you may be limiting yourself.