When Your Roommates Are Your Best Friends
Friendships

11 Truths You're All Too Familiar With If Your Roommates Are Your Best Friends

It's like having sisters that I've always wanted. It's fabulous.

132

I'm extremely lucky to be able to say that I'm best friends with my roommates. Not everyone can relate and I've heard so many horror stories of people clashing with their roommates and just not getting along.

However, my roommates and I became best friends almost instantly and needless to say, the dynamic is a little bit different than a normal living situation.

Getting ready is always a party (or low-key chaos)

Getting ready for parties, events and going out usually involves two or three people sharing the bathroom, everyone is changing outfits at least twice and by the end, no one is wearing anything from their closet. But we listen to the Jonas Brothers while we do it, which makes it fun.

Late night food runs are always supported

Unsplash

If someone wants to get fast food at 2 a.m., there's pretty much always someone that's also down, and you can just go wake them up if you want them to go with you. It's a blessing and a curse (for my wallet).

Endless amounts of food

Unsplash

Everyone shares snacks. We have two fridges and a huge basket of snacks in our living room. Plus, we all know where each other keep our food, and we don't hate each other so if we ask if we can eat something, the answer is rarely ever no.

Endless amounts of memes.

This sounds weird. However, I also share a wall with one of our other best friends, and when I'm laying in bed at night she airdrops memes to me. It's a cute method of communication (and comedy).

You always have a study buddy

Unsplash

If you need someone to listen to your speech, you've got it. If you want someone to look over a paper for you, that's at your disposal. Mutually beneficial relationships are always a good idea.

Your closet is never-ending

media.giphy.com

Sharing clothes is not a problem whatsoever. It's boring to wear the same thing twice, and there's no sense in buying a bunch of clothes if you're going to an event once. Just borrow someone else's.

Your decorations become a melting pot of everyone's styles

Unsplash

We have polaroids and pictures of each other up EVERYWHERE. Our dorm doesn't really have a theme, it's just kind of things that everyone brought and liked so sometimes you have a world map next to a fake pet goldfish on a shelf. Everyone's happy, so I don't really see a problem.

When you do spend time apart it feels like the end of the world

Unsplash

I went home for a weekend and got a text from one of my roommates six hours later saying she missed me. If I'm being honest, I missed her too. After spending all of your time together it's weird to be in different states, and I kind of hate it.

There is literally no judgement

media.giphy.com

Eventually, you're going to see each other naked. Once that happens, there's really nothing that can phase you anymore. Sometimes people run around without pants. We pee with the door open now. Safe spaces are good.

Your inside jokes are on point

Unsplash

Our squad name is an inside joke. We make fun of each other using inside jokes. At this point, I forget what our inside jokes are and what is actually just regular language. Regardless, that's a connection that always feels more genuine.

You always have a shoulder to cry on

Unsplash

It feels amazing to know that I can just go into the next room if I need a hug or someone to just vent to. Likewise, I love knowing that my roommates can always come to me if they need literally anything. Having a support system like that will change your life, and I'm so lucky to have found my best friends and have them be right at my fingertips.