Meet Me At The Emotional Baggage Claim

Meet Me At The Emotional Baggage Claim

Everyone has baggage - it's how you deal with it that matters

184
Meet Me At The Emotional Baggage Claim

Life is a journey and you can’t carry everything with you.

Studies have shown that our past experiences have a huge influence on the types of people we are attracted to. Also, on how we think and act in our present relationships.

That is why it is no surprise that emotional memories shape our beliefs, the way we see ourselves, and the way we conduct ourselves in relationships.

Emotional baggage is a useful metaphor – these battered old suitcases hold the mix of negative and unprocessed emotions we've acquired throughout the years.

These feelings come from people, places, behaviors, and experiences from our past that still have a negative impact on our present.

The key to handling emotional baggage is to be aware of it, know it, own it, and handle it.

I think it’s extremely important to learn how to deal with emotional baggage so it doesn’t define you or affect the decisions you’ll make in your future.

Here are a few very useful tips on how to deal with emotional baggage, so it doesn’t define you:

Identify Your Issues

You can’t deal with something if you don’t know what that thing is.

Identify Your Triggers

I’m talking about different things that remind you of your past, that bring back old memories, old feelings or even old reactions.

Acknowledge Your Emotions

Try to acknowledge your emotions and don’t allow them to overwhelm you. Don't blame yourself for feeling a certain way because it takes time to heal! Also, try and find closure by sharing your feelings with someone close that you trust.

Find At Least One Positive In Each Painful Experience

You can take action to change your behavior and the way you are thinking, so try to find the good in every situation that you’ve been through.

Be Patient

Change doesn't happen over night. Those wounds from your past need time to heal. So don’t despair if you don’t see any results the next day.

Visualize Yourself Happy

Try to imagine how that would feel and release that old baggage! By doing this, you will feel liberated, you will be able to think more clearly and you will be able to enjoy the things you already have that much more.

Don't Be Afraid To Ask For Help

It’s not easy dealing with all kinds of issues from your past, especially if they still interfere with the way you think or with the way you act in the present. So don't be afraid to ask for help from a therapist or someone you are close to.

Do you know any other tips on how to deal with emotional baggage? Please, share them in the comment section below for others.