From One FOMO Victim To Another, Sometimes It's Okay To Say No

Give your body and mind the break they deserve.

167

We’ve all been there, it’s 9 pm on a Friday night and you want nothing more than to just stay cuddled up in bed.

Favorite snacks next to you, Netflix on your lap. You swear to yourself that you will not move from that spot…until your best friend starts blowing up your phone demanding that you make it out tonight because OMG! the best party is happening tonight and there is just absolutely no way you can miss out.

If there’s anything I’ve learned thus far in my two and a half month-long college experience is: alone time is valuable. When you're caught up in the busyness of your week, it's easy to look back and realized that you haven't had a moment to yourself in over 48 hours.

I love my friends and I cherish the time we all spend together, being with them isn't a chore or a tiring task. It's a constant state of laughter and happiness, but nothing compares to the time I get to spend by myself.

It’s tough, especially when you’re in a new transition of your life, like college, and you feel you might miss out on prime opportunities if you don’t attend every foam party and social gathering out there.

But from one FOMO (fear of missing out) victim to the other, it’s okay to say no. Actually, it’s necessary to say no sometimes.

Yes, it’s important to be social and explore all your college-town has to offer, but it’s equally as important to take time just to be by yourself. Get coffee, walk downtown, get a workout in or listen to music. Whatever it may be, make time for it to happen.

There will be plenty more loud and sweaty parties to attend, you don’t need to shove three into one weekend.

Give yourself that time to disconnect. From social media, from the hustle and bustle of college life, from anything that might make you feel overwhelmed. It’s easy to worry that you might miss out on something important, but your body and mind will thank you for taking time to let them rest.

As for your friends; they will understand. It also doesn’t hurt to encourage them to do the same or invite them to do face-mask and just relax with you one night out of the week.

Life can get crazy, especially in a society where everything is constantly moving and happening right away.

This craziness makes it even more important to disconnect and step away. It’s easy to lose sight of the important things in your life, like yourself, when you’re constantly moving.

Don’t be afraid to take a step back and realize that it’s okay to take time to be alone.

It’s okay to stay in bed all night, it's okay to opt for sweats and a t-shirt instead of a full-blown outfit, it’s okay to enjoy your own company, it’s okay to say no.