It's Time for Donald Trump to Delete His Twitter

We need to hold our next President to higher standards than an internet troll.

2
Twitter

While this certainly isn't a new problem, President-elect Donald Trump's Twitter page is certainly an unprecedented one.

Never before has an individual being observed so closely, or held to such high standards as the office of President of the United States, been so vocally unchecked as Trump has on the social media platform. That is a mistake on our part, and I believe it is time to fix it.

Before he is sworn into office, Donald Trump must deactivate his Twitter account.

Of course, he would still be able to use the Presidential handle @POTUS (under close supervision by aides), but he has proven too sporadic to handle his own account. Case in point, the whole Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart situation. Besides it being creepy as hell that an older man would offer his opinion on the relationship between two complete strangers, it was also demeaning to both Pattinson and Stewart.

But that was in 2012. Surely the man who is about to be our next leader has more important things to worry about, like attacking a Broadway play for "harassing" VP-elect Mike Pence:

(by the way, Pence had no problem with this at all.)

Complaining about Saturday Night Live and how one-sided it is (it isn't):

Attacking the New York Times for changing the terms and conditions of their meeting (they didn't):

Bragging about (and admitting to) screwing over victims of the Trump University scam:

And contemplating the results of the election if it had been decided only by the popular vote (Hillary Clinton would have won):

These were all from about a week and a half ago. Here's a list The New York Times made showing every angry tweet Trump wrote since he announced his candidacy. I expect many more outbursts like this before inauguration, and I hope that they all but disappear the day after. If Donald Trump deleted his old account and took on the responsibility of a government-official Twitter handle, then I believe he would show better temperament (or at least be monitored more successfully). We cannot let the leader of the free world be allowed the same privileges as your everyday internet troll.

Call it a concern for our country's defense and reputation. If our president can be allowed to send a string of angry tweets about a Broadway play at two in the morning, then should we really be so convinced that he can lead a whole country with a level head? I would like to have a little more faith in the person that has been chosen to represent the people of this country (like it or not, which I don't), and I personally cannot until Donald Trump deletes his Twitter account. Because if any other boss saw some of the things he's tweeted in the past, he would've been fired already.