Why Fundraising For Knight-Thon Is So Rewarding

It's all FTK.

38
Nicole Staffeld

#ForTheKids is a trending hashtag in major colleges and universities around the country. For The Kids is the motto we have acquired from the Children's Miracle Network Hospital, because everything we do throughout the semester, all of the fund-raising, all of the philanthropies, parties, bbq's, rent-a-pups, and everything in between are For The Kids. The purpose of Knight-Thon is to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

But here's the catch: all of the dancers participate in a 20-hour dance marathon. Why 20 hours? Many of the children who are admitted into our local hospitals go through pain and suffering that most of us cannot even begin to comprehend. The act of staying on our feet for 20 hours is meant to give all of the dancers a greater appreciation and understanding of the every day obstacles that these children go through every single day. Knight-Thon is more than just a philanthropy event; it's UCF’s way to stand in support of the brave children being treated at our local Children’s Hospitals. Simply stated, we stand for the kids who can’t. The journey is one to remember and quite a life-changing experience.

Children's Miracle Network has definitely become near and dear to any participant's heart. The amazing things that they do every day for these children and their families who can't afford the care they need, shows us that there is good in the world and that any type of donation is accepted. Be it volunteering time, or donating money or items they need, they are so appreciative of our commitment with the organization and we all are touched by what they are doing. It's extremely important as62 children enter a Children's Miracle Network Hospital every minute.

This fund-raising isn't dreaded, or a chore like it was in middle school when you had to sell magazine subscriptions, or in high school when you had to sell candy bars. Raising money for a charity is more rewarding for you and the experience is special. Throughout the semester, the Rosen College of Hospitality Management team had planned a plethora of events and FUNd-raising ideas for Knight Thon. From bucketing in classes, to selling doughnuts, the Rosen team found a way to make it easy to donate to such an amazing charity. Children's Miracle Network provides $2.5 billion in charity (uncompensated) care each year.

Knight Thon gives the average college student the opportunity to realize that donating to a charity can be rewarding in the end. Rent-A-Pup is definitely a two for one in FUNdraising for the Rosen Team. The way it worked was that all you had to do was make a small donation and you were able to rent a pup for 20 minutes with your student ID. We came into contact with Pet Rescues By Judy for the pups and it was and still is an amazing way to let the dogs interact with people, as well as a stress reliever for the students on campus from their workload.

What seemed to be a long period of time to donate, from August to April, has flown by and the Dance Marathon is just around the corner! Next weekend cannot come fast enough. Every dancer is excited to bond throughout the "knight" with one-another celebrating this amazing cause. Feet will be swollen, tears will be shed, awkward dance moves will commence, strong bonds will be created, and our hopes of beating the $1 Million dollar donation mark. One day we will dance in celebration, but until then we dance will dance for a cure!

xoxo