Is There Really An Oil For That?

Is There Really An Oil For That?

Wait, you mean those weird mysterious fluids that half of my friends and family believe cure everything from colds to vertigo?

6
Is There Really An Oil For That?

My nose is plugged, but I don't think I'm sick.

Over the counter medications aren't working. Neither are my allergy meds.

Is it time to try essential oils -- those weird mysterious fluids that half of my friends and family believe cure everything from colds to vertigo?

Essential oils (also known as volatile oils) are the basic materials of aromatherapy. They are made from fragrant essences found in many plants. These essences are made in special plant cells, often under the surface of leaves, bark, or peel, using energy from the sun and elements from the air, soil, and water. If the plant is crushed, the essence and its unique fragrance are released.

When essences are extracted from plants in natural ways, they become essential oils. They may be distilled with steam and/or water, or mechanically pressed. Oils that are made with chemical processes are not considered true essential oils.

The sense of smell goes directly to the emotional center or the limbic center of the brain. It skips the Reticular Alarm System and goes directly to centers of emotion, feeling, and bonding.

So what is the big deal about these mysterious fluids?

I asked a group of people very close to me who use essential oils on a regular basis. I wanted to know which one (or several) is their favorite and what they use it for. Overall, the four most commonly used essential oils are:

Thieves -- supports healthy immune function. May contribute to overall wellness when taken as a dietary supplement.

Lavender -- calming effect, used most often just before bed.

Peppermint -- supports gastrointestinal system comfort. Promotes healthy bowel function. Maintains efficiency of the digestive tract.

Purification -- freshens the air and eliminates odors.

(Personally, I'm a big fan of peppermint. Especially when I'm stuffed up).

Essential oils are becoming ridiculously popular. So much so that I can stand next to a person anywhere and know that they are using essential oils just by the way they smell! (Not that, that's a bad thing. There could be worse things to smell like). My good friend Tamara Sonnenberg, who is an independent consultant at Young Living, says, "if an oil smells bad to you, it means you need it."

My #1 question is why are they so expensive?

Young Living, one of the top essential oils companies in the world, is a genuine grade company. Meaning, the essential oils they extract are 100% pure and natural. Which is why they are so expensive. Young Living can also guarantee the seed to seal practice. They seed, they cultivate, they distil, they test, and then they seal.

Skeptics say it's just a placebo; that essential oils do not really work in promoting health and wellness.

As for me, I like my essential oils.

But I sure wish they came out with ones that helped me learn French or help me beat my Grey's Anatomy addiction.