What College Students Are Saying About The Upcoming School Year That’s Occurring During A Pandemic

It's obvious that this topic brings anxiety among college students.

96

As the school year gets closer, many students are becoming more concerned about going to school during a pandemic. With many uncertainties, it's unknown how the school year will turn out. Here are what college students from different universities shared.

Student One

"I'm nervous. There are still so many uncertainties. The coronavirus (COVID-19) cases continue to rise and students going back to campus will not help lower case numbers either. There is a division between those who wear masks and those who refuse. Division in those who take the pandemic seriously and those who continue living their life. If my school was offering a complete online option, I would take it."

Student Two

"It's a little scary having school in person right now, but the schools that are opening have a lot of different rules because of it so that's comforting. I also think it's nice that my university is giving students the option to go back or stay so they can keep doing school online if they're uncomfortable being on campus."

Student Three

"My university was very supportive and communicative when we went online in the spring. I have been appreciative of their open communication throughout this entire pandemic as well as their hard work trying to continue our educational journey. However, the decision to return to in-person classes raises concerns. The first for me is dorm life, especially considering every dorm has community bathrooms and many have poor air ventilation. I appreciate the measures taken by the university in every aspect from socially distanced classrooms and dining halls, but most people agree that there will be some people on campus that will get sick."

Student Four

"It sucks since half of my classes went online and now, I'm paying more for classes in an environment that makes it harder to focus and study."

Student Five

"Going back is a good idea, from a business standpoint. It's a way to fill some rooms up since there are always students who want to come back and leave their homes due to restrictions and fewer friends. Medically, however, it's a bad idea. With the freedom college students have, it's inevitable for them to roam and since schools can't always track where students go, it's harder to know where the virus is being spread."

Student Six

"I'm sure we're all super excited to go back to school and be able to see our friends again, but not at the expense of our health and the health of others. A significant increase in the number of COVID-19 cases is seen, which raises the question, 'Is it safe for students to return to in-person classes in the fall?' Personally, I don't believe we are at the place where we can definitively say it is safe for students to return."

Student Seven

"It's kind of scary. I don't know how my university will prevent people from not wearing their masks. It's going to be hard. The world is a crazy place right now, but I'll just go with the flow and try to make it through. These next few months are going to be tough, but at least I'll have others to go through the pandemic with me."

It's true that this upcoming school year will not be an easy one. There will be worries and plenty of changes. However, we can trust that one day we will return to our normal lives. For now, let's work together to keep each other safe and continue to hope for a better future.