In Case It's Still Not Obvious, Here's Why You Really Need To Limit Your Gatherings During The Holidays

We're tired of covid, and the vaccine is coming... but it's not over yet!

3
https://unsplash.com/photos/0I52FCHNjoU

I get it. We've been doing the covid thing for over nine months now. We're tired. We're lonely. We're restless. We want to start seeing people again. We're sick of the Zoom calls.

The covid fatigue is real, whether you're a student, parent, or employee. Everyone's lives has been touched by this pandemic one way or another. Now that a vaccine has been authorized for emergency use, it seems like there will finally be an ending to this unimaginable ordeal.

What people need to understand is the end of the year 2020 will not equal the end of the COVID-19 pandemic. We still have a long way to go until enough people will will be vaccinated before we can start meetings in groups again. We still need to social distance, especially with the colder weather forcing us indoors. Doubled with cold and flu season, COVID-19's winter comeback has proved to be even worse than the initial wave. The holiday season is upon us, and despite it being marked by togetherness and cheer, we need to be smart. Here's why:

Canada experienced a huge spike in covid cases after their Thanksgiving. 

Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated the second Monday in October. This past Thanksgiving, Canada's covid cases significantly increased after Thanksgiving. The culprit? Canadians participating in gatherings and traveling to see loved ones for the holiday. Currently, the country's curve is still on the upwards, with up to 7,000 cases per day. Before Canadian Thanksgiving, Canada barely exceeded 2,000 cases per day. Compared to the U.S., Canada's case numbers are lower, but the statistics don't lie.

Spending times indoors will increase your chances of catching covid.

When the pandemic got really bad in the States back in March, moving events outside was an obvious solution, as the weather was starting to get nicer. Now, with the winter months ahead of us, more people are naturally spending more time indoors. COVID-19 is less likely (but not impossible) to be spread outdoors since covid particles can become diluted in the atmosphere. Having gatherings inside increase the chances of community spread, especially if a room has poor ventilation.

We're already more likely to get sick this time of year, anyways.

Flu season is in full swing. Staying indoors will increase your chances of getting any other illness for the same reasons why covid is more likely to spread indoors. Colder temperatures make our immune system more vulnerable, and it is the ideal environment for the common cold virus to thrive in. The last thing you'd want is to have covid on top of another winter-induced ailment. Also, it'd save you some stress when you're wondering if that tickle in your throat is a harmless cold or coronavirus.

It's the selfless thing to do.

If you haven't realized by now, self-accountability is the running theme of this pandemic. It's up to us to take the precautions to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. It could save someone who is a complete stranger to you, but a grandparent, mother, father, or other loved one to somebody else. If you can't do that much for your community, I don't know what else to tell you.