The Importance Of Intramural Sports

The Importance Of Intramural Sports

Intramurals have a place at every school.
1855

Capital University offers no intramural sports. The only option for recreational sport is a Quidditch club (an adaptation of the fictional sport from the Harry Potter book/movie series). However, the Quidditch club is underpopulated, as a large portion of college students may not know about it or want to participate in a Quidditch match. At most other universities, there are a plethora of intramural sports to participate in: basketball, soccer, ultimate Frisbee -- you name it.

Of course there will always be people who are dedicated to playing a sport who will get their friends to play basketball or throw a Frisbee. You will often find this group of people in the courtyard or in the Cap Center. So what's the problem, then? I'm talking about the average Joe (or Joan) who wouldn't normally find themselves in the Cap Center every other day, who may be interested in playing a sport casually, but doesn't have the option or perhaps friend group to do so.

Intramural sports offer an organized outlet for people to express a side of themselves that wouldn't normally be expressed. It also allows the people who are just playing in the courtyard or Cap Center a more set and defined place to play and people to play against. The organization is key, because while teams may take the seriousness of the games differently, they are teams. Other people may only want to play a game once a week, but they'll show up to their games at a set time. People who may not get motivated to just randomly play a sport or exercise now have a motivator in a game. It is also an easy way to make new friends, especially at a smaller school like Capital. Intramural sports let you play against familiar faces who you've probably seen around campus and see that someone likes at least one of the same things you do.

Plus, who couldn't use a little more physical activity in their life? Intramural sports are a great way to do just that. They can add one or two hours a week of going outside or to the gym to get moving.

Some people may take the sports a little more serious than others, which is good because competition will keep the sports alive. However, you don't have to treat the intramural games like the Olympics. The important thing is that you are enjoying yourself in doing something you want to do, which is why I think every school (not just Capital) should have intramural sports. If they are already in place at your school, go join one! Participate in a sport you wouldn't normally do, something that is out of your comfort zone.

Whether it's volleyball, tennis, soccer, basketball, ultimate Frisbee, or Quidditch, go out and enjoy yourself playing an intramural sport.