It is time for immigration reform to help all

Separation Of Children And Parents Is A No Go

Is it time for an Immigration reform that can help people get a path to citizenship? I think so!

92
googleimages.com
https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1394990/trump-signs-fiscal-year-2018-defense-authorization/

Over the past couple of days we have seen many parents and children being separated at the border of the United States because they were crossing illegally. Now illegal immigration is still a very hot topic and this country and it seems that with this recent news the President had to act to change the policy that he created. It seems to me that there is a sound of regret coming from the West Wing in the White House. My question is why was this a policy in the first place.

We all remember the election, and Donald Trump saying "We are going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it!" Yah ok, whatever. Anyways, it seems to me that the President has taken this whole immigration ordeal to a whole new level. Who would want to separate children from their parents. To me that seems inhumane, which would go right along with what the President has campaigned on.

The news has cast this as an "immigration crisis" which it is, but people trying to come over the border is nothing new. This happens all the time because there are many people that want to come to this country to have the opportunity to have a better life and make sure their children do not have the same issues they did. I mean this country was founded on people seeing refuge from an oppressive nation. I feel that we would be doing a disservice to our founding fathers and this country if we don't at least give these people a path to citizenship.

Many people have said that they should be sent back, which I do not agree of. I feel that they should be allowed to stay in this country and prove that they are able to get a job and support their family and then give them a path to citizenship. Now the path to citizenship in this country is not easy. I mean we are in the 21st century, there has to be a way to streamline the process and make sure people are not waiting and waiting for years until they are able to get their citizenship. Now even though it does say it takes six months to a year, I really do not believe that. There are too many stories I have heard from friends who had to wait much longer.

There needs to be comprehensive reform to our immigration process. The republicans don't want to do because it is to "protect" our nation. Our President does not want to do it because he thinks everyone coming over the boarders are going to hurt Americans. Democrats want to reform this to help give the twelve million people a path to citizenship. This is just typical politics and gridlock in Washington and it needs to stop here and now. It needs to stop so we can help the people who came here to get a better life.