I'm The Girl Who'll Always Make The First Move Because It's 2020, And I Can Ask For What I Want

It's that simple.

545

In a society full of rejection, it can be difficult to make the first move.

Especially in a society overshadowed by the historic idea that a man can ask out a woman but not the other way around.

For years, I always thought there was something wrong with me, that I was weird because I didn't wait for weeks to see if a guy would ask me out or if he'd confess to having feelings for me. Instead, I would just ask.

My parents told me that stupidity was not asking questions in order to learn more and insanity was doing the same thing over and over again. Why wouldn't I ask a boy if he liked me or just ask him out? Why would I want to dissolve my own self-esteem by waiting for him to ask me out or not ask me at all?

Personally, I say screw that. This is 2020, and if I want a boyfriend, dammit I will do it myself.

I hate to rant, but I'm a busy woman. By being a full-time Panhellenic student, working two jobs, belonging to several organizations, volunteering, reading, and writing a novel before I'm twenty-five, I refuse to wait around for Prince Charming to make up his mind about dating me.

Trust me, if you think women are indecisive, then you have never met a college boy. Hell, even on my tinder profile, I'm to the point:

"I think I'm cute, I think you're cute. We should be cute together, doing cute stuff. Yes or no?"

Why wait to get an answer to an easy question?

If he likes you, great. If not, it sucks, but at least you didn't waste a whole ass month waiting to hear rejection. At the end of the day, it's your time you're wasting and not anyone else's. If you have the energy and availability to do that then go nuts, but let's be real, the only way to get what you want is to go out there and get it for yourself.

Whether that be a career in medicine, a whole cake, or a 6'4" gym buff named Brad with a secret Netflix addiction. It's all on you. So be a go-getter and get your man.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.