Open Letter to the People Who "Can't Handle It"

I'm tired of the dehumanizations I see every day

59

WARNING: this article may be rather bold and outspoken.

But...hear me out. For everything is out of personal observations.

I have a friend

She has anxiety

She wonders if her boyfriend will stay with her. She may just be too much work. After all, why should the fact that he may love her, make any difference?

She is a person too.

I know a girl

She was diagnosed with leukemia...

....in the middle of her academic career. Guys that were attracted to her began to have second thoughts. Why would anyone date her? After all, in the event that she dies, no one should have to go through the pain of falling in love with her, just to loose her. Right? Wrong.

She is a person too.

I know a guy

He had a painful childhood and a broken past

Who wants to be involved with someone who has so much baggage? You don't need that in your life.

He is a person too.

I have a best friend

She suffers from depression.

She's afraid to ask for help and to vent to her friends. She doesn't want to be a burden.

She is a person too.

These stories are all true. But more importantly, these stories are more common than many of us realize. And here's my point. If you can't handle these concerns or struggles that people deal with, you will never be able to handle life.

These are real people with real frustrations. They are people and they are not alone.

But for some reason, many of us think that we have the right to label them and to define them by what they struggle with and what they face on a daily basis.

We, as humans, think we have the right to dehumanize others.

Just let that sit for awhile. When I see this happening around me, I can't stay silent. I must say something. And if writing a piece on a public platform is the only way I can do that, then I will do it. Think before you do something. Think before you say something. And one day, when you go through a dark time in your life and YOU are that guy, you are the girl, you are that friend; just remember...that when it happens to you, it's always a totally different story. And it shouldn't be.

Think before you act. Think before you say. Think before you do. For one day that person in your life that is "too much work" and "too much to handle" will be you.