I'm Not Living My Life For You, Teddy Nguyen

The way I choose to live does not make me a product of a garbage generation.

533

My day was going along just like any other day--I was sitting on my couch, trying to catch up on all of the "Grey's Anatomy" I had missed during a busy semester at school when I came across a Facebook post that struck a nerve. Obviously, Facebook posts are to be taken lightly, as it is not a serious platform, but rather a social network with the capabilities to make your opinions known; but there is something to be said about a misogynistic post with a tasteless photograph to accompany it. If you're not prepared for me to yell from my soap box, I recommend you stop reading here. The post I came across is as follows:

At first glance, it appears to be one of those big, long, relationship quotes that I typically don't waste my time with. I usually just keep on scrolling, but this image caught my attention. It caught my attention because it is such a visual of male dominance. Sure, that kind of thing may be fine in the bedroom, but the possessive quality of the image, paired with the quote is too much. I can say with certainty it is not appropriate for a social network.

Image aside though, let's really dive into things. The very first sentence is a run on which bashes the life decisions of women who chose to live their lives in ways that they want to. Not only is it gender exclusive, but it shames women. The post makes it clear that, God forbid, if a girl chooses to have a good time partying, smoking anything, choosing to do drugs, or wanting a little attention it means that she isn't the one. You are a product of the trash this generation has come up with. You are not worthy of love or attention and you are sure as hell not worthy of a good man. The quote talks about how if you choose to have a social life outside of going to school and going to work you are unworthy. You are not a diamond in the rough; you choosing to have a life outside of work and school is a selfish decision and living for yourself is simply not acceptable.

If you're not sold on the fact that this quote is absolute garbage, keep reading. The post refers to women as "damaged," it talks about how you need to be with the girl who hasn't been damaged by another man, who isn't broken, how you need to get to her first. It's as if those who are "damaged" aren't good enough; those who carry a little extra baggage just aren't worth it. If you've ever been hurt of screwed over by a man before, this post makes it seem like you should consider yourself "damaged goods" and commit to a life of celibacy because no man would ever want you. No one would ever want to start a life with that kind of woman, no one would want to marry that kind of woman and no one would ever want to bring children into the world with that kind of woman. Guess what Teddy... damaged and broken are not synonymous with unlovable.

I'm not saying that you should be going out and partying all the time, doing all of the drugs or wanting everything of materialistic value...unless that's what you want to do...for your own happiness. I'm not saying you shouldn't dedicate your life to work and school or have giant goals for the future--that's your own choice. I can speak for myself when I say that I enjoy going out with my friends, I enjoy having a social life, I pride myself in being open minded and I am not afraid of putting myself first; and that is 100% okay. That does not make me any less lovable or more "damaged" than I already am. I am living my life for myself--man or no man. I will never live my life in a way to please someone else, and neither should you.

My choices in life do not make me a product of a generation that some man can simply disrespect via the internet. This generation has produced open minded, strong and independent people. People who have the right to make choices for themselves, people who do not simply live to please a man and people who a sure as hell fierce. Some "man" cannot simply go on his own soap box and preach a misogynistic message about the women of this generation. I am proud of who I am and the way I choose to live my life, and you should be too.