I'm A Millennial, But I'm Not...

I'm A Millennial, But I'm Not...

We are just a generation trying to make our own way in the world.

37
I'm A Millennial, But I'm Not...
businessinsider. com

Nowadays, it's hard to go a day without having to hear someone from an older generation complain about my generation. It's always the Millennials that are disgraces, and the stereotypes about Millennials are unreal. So I'm here to set the record straight about what us Millennials are really like.

I'm a Millennial, but I'm not...

1. Entitled.

A lot of people like to claim that Millennials are oh so entitled and we expect to just have everything handed to us in life, and I am here to tell you that's not the case. Over the summer, I worked two jobs and and saved a lot of my money up to put money down on my first car. I rode the bus my whole high school career, because my parents couldn't afford to buy me a car. I am currently living rent free with my parents, while I set aside money to save for me and my fiance's place to live once we get married, so that we can be on our feet when we get married. I pay for my own gas and luxuries. And this is the case with most Millennials I know. Most of my friends pay their own bills, and work their butts off at work and school to get wherever they want to be.

2. Lazy.

This stereotype aboutMillennials is probably one of the ones that makes me the most angry. I am currently a full time student, working between 20-30 hours a week at my part time job, while also planning a wedding, writing as an extracurricular, still keeping up with my friends, family, and fiance, and keeping up with my own self care and mental health. Almost every day at the end of the day, I practically collapse into bed. I had to call off work recently because I had such low blood sugar levels that I could barely stand, because I had been so busy working and doing homework the night before, that it had been too long since I had eaten. When people accuse Millennials of being lazy, the same Millennials that are working their butts off to afford school and afford to live life, it grinds my gears.

3. Self-absorbed

Many people like to say that because this generation likes to take selfies, that we are all self absorbed and that we are conceited. Yes, I take selfies. But I don't do it because I'm conceited. I take selfies because I love myself. I do it because yeah, this outfit makes me look damn good. And I don't need anyone else's permission to like how I look. I shouldn't be deemed self absorbed because I take pictures of myself when I like how I look. Self love should be glorified and encouraged, rather than discouraged and treated like a disease.

4. Glorifiers "hook up culture"

Apparently there is this view that Millennials are more willing to hook up than commit. I just think that this stereotype is crap. Because our generation is the generation that has made sex something that isn't so taboo, and because our generation is the generation that is willing to have the tough discussions about sex, we are suddenly obsessed with hook ups? No, we are revolutionaries. 20 year olds are debating reproductive health. 21 year olds are practicing safe sex. Out of my group of friends (ranging in age from 18-22), about half of them are in committed relationships, and a handful of them are engaged, including myself at 19. Our generation is amazing because they understand that sex is natural and nobody should be judged for doing it with whomever they feel comfortable doing so with.

5. Materialistic

I don't know what Millennials this stereotype is referring to, but the Millennials I know shop at Goodwill, drive used cars, do their own hair and nails, spend their weekends going bowling, and buy knock off brands because its cheaper. I do not own anything that is just the absolute newest and best thing, except for my iPhone 7, which I only recently got to replace my failing iPhone 6. I have never been a very materialistic person, and most of my friends aren't either. My most prized possessions are my engagement ring, a stuffed elephant, and the picture of my family on my dresser. Not my phone. Not my TV. Not my car. Not some pair of shoes that cost a fortune. A piece of jewelry, a stuffed animal, and a framed picture. Tell me again how that is materialistic.

6. Afraid to communicate

Many like to say that Millennials cannot have decent conversations because of texting, when that could be the furthest thing from the truth. Some of the best conversations I have ever had have been face to face conversations. I would rather sit down at a coffee shop with someone and catch up with them than text them. I am always having friends over just to talk, or going out to a meal with friends just to catch up. Just today I went out to lunch with my middle school best friend, and a few weeks ago I went with another middle school best friend of mine, and caught up. I have no fear of face to face communication, and neither does my generation, trust me. When I am with my friends, my phone is limited to a camera. When I am out to eat with someone, I only use my phone for emergencies. Technology has not hindered our communication skills

7. Sensitive

I think this is the one that gets me the most. I am always told i am too easily offended when I don't laugh at political incorrectness. I am told I am sensitive because I don't laugh when people tell racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive jokes. I first of all, didn't know consideration for others was a negative thing. Second of all, why is political correctness only applied to Millennials?? Why can't other generations be politically correct? So what if I ask someone what pronouns they prefer? Last time I checked, older generations are the ones who are quick to not talk about issues that are uncomfortable. At least my generation is not only aware of social issues, but we are also educated on those issues and know the proper way to handle talking about them, rather than running away from those conversations to avoid personal discomfort.

The most common stereotypes about Millennials are the ones that are the most wrong. So maybe instead of saying "all Millennials are ______," maybe you could sit down and get to know a Millennial and realize we aren't all stereotypes for you to make fun of. We are just a generation trying to make our own way in the world.