Yes, I Am An Old-Fashioned, Classic, Homegrown Girl, And I Love That

Nice dates and conversation are where it's at.

If I had to choose any song to accurately describe myself, it would have to be Classic by MKTO. Not because it's catchy or just a great song, but because it just describes the kind of girl I am. Classic, old fashioned and simple.

I relate more closely to the girls of 50 years ago than I seem to with ones my age. I'm not really into crop tops or frat parties, the latest trends or styles. My parents always taught me to stand out in the crowd and after years of trying desperately to fit in, I finally just said, "Screw it" and quit trying.

I'm old fashioned and that is perfectly fine. While most people are waking up from hangovers on a Sunday morning, I'm putting on a dress and heels and heading to church. I don't enjoy showing a lot of skin on campus or at parties. I sometimes stay home to study rather than going out with friends. And I definitely don't deal with boys who aren't in it to get married. I know, totally lame, right? But that's alright with me.

Some girls today are fine with the whole "Netflix and Chill," one night stand and never speak again thing.

And that is perfectly ok, but it just isn't for me. If you like me, show me. Dress up, open the car door for me and take me out on a date. Treat me like somebody worthy of respect and you'll get it back tenfold.

I grew up watching movies where the first kiss at the end of a date was the biggest moment of the night. I think that taking me home to meet your parents is a huge deal. I would rather go out on some kind of adventure than sit in a dark room with a TV that we are barely paying attention to.

Call me a prude, call it stupid, say whatever you want.

I hold the standards high for myself and that is alright. In a world where being out of control is normalized, I like knowing that I'm unique.

I'm an old fashioned, classic, homegrown girl.

Whether it's the way I was raised or just the mindset I have, being old fashioned is something that I hold close to my heart. And I like to think it's something that makes me unique in a society where things are always moving quickly forward. It doesn't make me a prude or a snob. If it's not for you, that's just fine.

Blaze your own trail and I'll blaze mine.