14 Things That Make All Illinois State Students Scream "Roll Birds!" And Curse Reggienet

We live in Normal, but we're nowhere close to being normal.
461

Even though Illinois State University is located in Normal, Illinois, it is nowhere close to being normal. At first, college seems very big and confusing but it doesn't take long to get used to ISU's quirks. Over the past three years, I have experienced quite a few interesting circumstances that are specific to ISU. So here are a few of them!

1. Going out when you're underage

When you're under 21 going out can be a gamble. It almost seems impossible to avoid getting a drinking ticket with parties being busted left and right.

2. When Festival ISU comes around

Literally best day of the year. So many free giveaways and free food! It's wonderful.

3. How you imagine the construction work is going at the Bone

The construction will never end!! Plus we will never even be able to see the results since we will graduate before they are even close to being finished.

4. When you have to go inside the Rec to get unhealthy food/drinks from Starbucks

It feels so wrong going into the rec to buy a sugary frappucino, but it's so worth it.

5. Everyone when it's popcorn chicken day at Watty

EVERYONE GET OUT OF MY WAY! Somehow everyone turns up at Watty Dining Center on this glorious day. Getting popcorn chicken is always a struggle.

6. When you're late for class and you have to cross Main St.

The traffic never seems to stop but you have to get to class somehow! Cars hate the pedestrians on this street because they tend to dart out in front of you. But honestly, we don't have another choice.

7. When you don't have a car but you really want McDonald's after midnight

The McDonald's near campus is luckily 24 hours, but unfortunately only the drive-thru is open past midnight. Some students without cars will have to get pretty creative in order to get their food.

8. When all the leasing companies are charging outrageous prices for mediocre apartments

Every apartment is so overpriced but you're forced to conform to the leasing company's monopoly.

9. When you're walking through the quad and social activists are trying to talk to you about serious issues

Please don't talk to me I'm just trying to get to class, thanks.

10. Trying to find a parking spot on campus

Good luck finding a parking spot. Especially in the green commuter lots during a weekday.

11. When reggienet is down

Somehow technical issues always happen right when you need to submit your homework.

12. When you get an email from tech support making you change your password AGAIN

It is hard enough remember one password and once you finally get it memorized they make you change it!!

13. Coming back to the dorms at 3 a.m. and trying to help your drunk friend make it past night ops

The sense of pride you feel after you sneak past night ops completely wasted is always amazing.

14. When you realize one day you will have to graduate and leave this wonderful place

While some of these may be annoying or frustrating, all of these things make Illinois State University home. I wouldn't change my time here at ISU for anything.