If You Cannot Commit, Don't Adopt!

If You Cannot Commit, Don't Adopt!

Animals love unconditionally, and deserve to have the favor returned.

71
If You Cannot Commit, Don't Adopt!

The holidays are in full effect, and animal shelters and pet shops across the country are going to be seeing a huge influx in adoptions. Unfortunately, after the holiday season, nearly half of those animals will be returned or abandoned completely.

This is a subject that is very important and frankly does not get enough attention.

So, let me just start off by saying...ANIMALS ARE NOT GIFTS.

They are not inanimate objects that you can just throw away when you get bored with it. They are living breathing creatures that deserve to be loved and cared for just like anyone else. Animals are family and a commitment for life.

Once you make that commitment, you are making a promise to your fur baby that you will love them forever, and they are trusting you with that promise.

Each year, approximately 7.6 million companion animals end up in a shelter. (DoSomething) In addition, 2.7 million of these animals are euthanized just to make space for the next batch of abandoned pets. (ASPCA)

There are no exact numbers that determine how many homeless animals populate the United States, but cats alone are estimated to be around 70 million. (ASPCA)

Yes, animals are cute when they are babies, but they don't stay that way forever. They require plenty of attention and care, and If you're going to adopt a pet, make sure you are prepared for whatever is in store.

This means planning vacations, moving to a new house/apartment, vet bills, food, and everything that comes with being a pet owner. If you don't consider any of this, and you simply purchase an animal out of pure impulse then you are an ignorant person. Plain and simple.

Homeless pets outnumber homeless people 5 to 1, and this is mainly a result of impulse adoption. (ASPCA)

When I was a little girl, I had a cat named Simba. He was black and white and despised everyone besides my mom. One day, my mom and her friend were walking down the street in Philadelphia when she heard a rustling noise.

At first, she didn't think much of it, until she noticed movement in a black trash bag on the side of the street. Out of obvious curiosity, she decided to take a look at what was inside. To her disbelief, she saw Simba.

He was just a baby, thrown away like a dollar store item waiting to be brought to the Jersey dump. His shot at life was destroyed before he could even fully open his eyes. If it wasn't for good people like my mom, Simba would have never seen the light of day.

Whatever monster committed this horrible act will get their day ten-fold, if karma is all that it is cracked up to be.

Animal cruelty happens every day. They are beaten, starved, neglected, caged, abandoned, and killed. This has to stop. They cannot fend for themselves and rely on the care of humans. Animals love unconditionally and deserve to have the favor returned.

To the people who treat animals like this, you will get yours one day.

To the people who treat animals with love, and respect, thank you. You give me hope for this world.

Do you believe all animals deserve basic rights? Sign the Petition Now!

Visit humanesociety.org to learn more about animal cruelty, and what you can do to help.