If The World Were Blind...

If The World Were Blind...

If the world were blind, how many people would you impress?

64
If The World Were Blind...
iStock

Imagine meeting the eyes of a stranger on your way to work.

You overslept, hitting that snooze button way too many times to count, and the negative consequences are weighing you down right now. You're half-dressed, with your pale blue duster in one arm and your bag in another. While you clutch that morning coffee in one hand and use the other to balance yourself, the cramped bus jerks across the street from one stop to another, as usual.

When it's your stop, you bolt outside without hesitation like the White Rabbit from Wonderland, thinking about how late you're going to be. You know your boss is going to be irritated with you for not being punctual for the umpteenth time, and you think of ways for him to let you off the hook again.

As ideas run through your mind at a thousand thoughts per second, you lose track of your surroundings. It's one of those daydreams you fall into when your feet are already taking you to your workplace via the cognitive map in your mind — despite your complete lack of attention. You've always been telling yourself that it's hazardous. You know you should be paying attention to the passersbys who are strolling through the busy streets, but you don't.

Then, that classic move you thought only happened in dramas becomes a reality.

You spill your coffee on a random stranger.

Already in disarray, your hands flutter from the stranger’s coffee-stained suit to your unorganized bag, and you start exclaiming, "I'm sorry!" over and over again because you know he probably needed to look presentable for work.

The stranger is pretty unhappy himself, muttering obscenities while you try to ameliorate the situation.

You look up apologetically, about to ask how much his suit costs so that you can compensate for his ruined attire, but your words disappear as soon his gaze falls on you.

He has these green eyes — pine, almost, and to say it in the subtlest way possible, you could get lost in them like a directionless person in a forest.

The obscenities that poured out of his mouth immediately disappear from your memory, and you're completely and utterly smitten.

Now, rewind.��

What if everyone in the world were blind? What if here, there was no such thing as the sense of sight, but humans could still maneuver themselves from place to place without fail?

Fast forward to that classic coffee-spilling scene.

Would you have ever, even for one mere second, thought that that stranger with a mouth full of profanities towards you could make you fall for him so easily?

Probably not.

In a world that applauds beauty to the utmost, it's difficult to say that you don't have a care in the world as to how you look on a day to day basis. Our world witnesses some people spending thousands just to change their God-given features to one that society deems as desirable, and those who tell us to accept ourselves the way we are are often times ignored.

But is one universal beauty even true? Who is to say that beauty must have one definition for the whole world? Most might believe this statement is cliché, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because you may defy the standards of beauty your society sets forth doesn't mean that you lack it. Even then, beauty doesn't have to be the face everyone sees while you go about your normal day. Beauty can be that spark within someone that lights a room left dormant by melancholy thoughts. Beauty can be that simple kindness within someone that draws you to them.

If you fall for someone just because of their physical appearance, that's not love. That's a mere infatuation — a short-lived passion that's bound to die off from its initial flame. All that's left are the visible wisps of smoke that tell of that one time you thought you loved when you really didn't.

Don't let your eyes wander the next time you meet someone for the first time, rather, let the time spent with them determine their true� beauty.