ICYMI: Fukushima 'Mutant' Daisies

ICYMI: Fukushima 'Mutant' Daisies

Radiation Showers Bring Deformed Flowers?

68
ICYMI: Fukushima 'Mutant' Daisies

The following tweet was posted at the end of May. It immediately caused some uproar among social media contenders who saw it.

These daisies were reportedly found near Fukushima, Japan, which was part of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami devastation that caused a nuclear disaster at the Fukushima power plant.

As a result, there's always been a fear that the radiation would affect the land surrounding the area, as well as the people, plants, and animals living in it. The picture definitely raised some concern considering these were found about 70 miles outside of the Fukushima site. As weeks passed there are more and more reasons to extinguish our anxieties.

It's been reported that these 'mutant' daisies are actually the result of fasciation. Fasciation is the result of abnormal plant cell replication that leads to an over-proliferation of some cells. It can be caused by mutations, hormonal changes, or environmental stresses. A biologist at the University of South Carolina stated that, "You'd have to plant the seeds of those particular daisies and observe their offspring to see if their deformity was genetically related." It's been acknowledged that there is a small chance radiation was the cause in this case, but due to the fact that fasciation occurs in nature all the time and the radiation levels at the area this photo was taken at were low, it seems unlikely.

For now, we can all keep calm and carry on...

...and appreciate the beauty of these 'mutant' daisies.