8 Things I Wish I Knew Before College
Education

8 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going To College

It's way different from high school, but that's okay.

2939
Personal Photo

With the high school graduations occurring, I began to think back on my high school graduation. I was a completely different person then than I am now; I know more now and I have way more life experience.

Looking back, I wouldn't change much about my college experience so far, however, there are a few things I wish I would have known that would have made the transition from high school to college a lot easier.

1. Friends aren't immediate. 

Anything worthwhile takes time. Meaningful friendships don't happen in the first week of school! It's the start of your sophomore year and you don't have a solid friend group yet, that's totally normal and okay. Give it time, put yourself out there, and look for intentional, genuine people.

2. College work is hard, don't slack off!

College work is different because you don't have your parent, your coach, or your teacher constantly reminding you to complete your assignments and telling you when the assignment is due. You have to plan things out and stay on top of your work!

3. College professors are not as accessible as high school teachers. 

They're just not. My freshman year of college, all of my classes had over 50 students in the class alone and the professor taught multiple classes. It's impossible for the professors to have the same relationship you did with your high school teachers. You really need to take initiative and attend their office hours when you don't understand something!

4. Make A's when it's still easy. 

Classes only get harder in college. During your freshman year, take your classes seriously and do well in the easier courses to help compensate for the harder courses you'll take in the future.

5. Stay active!

One of the best ways to relieve stress is to exercise. You will be less stressed and more confident if you take the time to exercise!

6. Watch what you eat.

Even though it's your first time having to cook for yourself and you're super busy with school work and making friends, you need to eat right. You really will become what you eat. If you eat fast food all the time, then you'll become sluggish and won't feel well. If you are eating healthier, then you will be happier!

7. People adjust to college at different rates, and that is okay.

My freshman year of college was very, very difficult for me. I couldn't find my friend group, I was overwhelmed at how many successful people there were, I was having a hard time adjusting to my new lifestyle. But, by the time my sophomore year began, I was ready to tackle the new experience and was successful. Other people jump right into freshman year and love college and completely thrive. You might fully adjust in the first year, or it might take the whole year. Either way, that's okay.

8. You have to put yourself in situations outside your comfort zone. 

College is full of so many new and potentially amazing experiences! It is a time for growth and figuring out more about who you are and who you want to be. It is so important to soak up all of the experiences you can, while you can. Get involved in everything!