I Survived My First Semester of College

I Survived My First Semester of College

I'm glad it's over with, but I know that are many more to come.

21
college girl studying

When I graduated high school in May, I didn't know what college would have in store for me. I was looking forward to it and thought that I could completely change myself. I did everything I could to prepare for the first day of school. I went ahead and bought my books, picked out outfits, and even went through sorority rush week. As I look back on my first semester, there are a few things that I would change.

First of all, I would completely do rush week over again. I tried to stay as true to myself as possible, but in the end, it didn't work out. I forced myself into this mold of looking and feeling different from my true self. I wanted to find the perfect sorority and my future best friend. I ended up quitting the sorority that I ran out on bid day too because I knew in my heart that I couldn't give those girls my best.

I want to do it again next year and not get caught up in who looks best or feel the need to prove myself to strangers. Besides, this first semester was a whirlwind in itself. I couldn't imagine devoting so much time AND trying to get the swing of things as a freshman.

Which carries me over to my next point: school. The workload wasn't too terrible and was able to devote a lot of time to just my classes. Pretty much all of my time went towards getting good grades. I would stay up late doing homework, studying, or reading for a class. I would meet with a study group almost once a week (you guys really helped me out in chemistry.)

Every time something was due, I would turn around just to find that something else needed to be done. I was very stressed and on edge almost every day. The real kicker of all this is that it was my own doing. Procrastination is still following me from high school and I have vowed to procrastinate as little as possible next semester.

Overall, this semester wasn't too bad. I actually got out and socialized. I joined a few clubs, met some really great people, and even designed a t-shirt. I'm glad to call them my friends. I see them almost all the time. We would meet once a week, but we would bump into each other at the library or in parking lots (benefits of going to a relatively small school.)

Writing for the Odyssey has also helped my mental health out. I enjoy writing and am happy that this can act as a journal for me when I need to get my feelings out. I also like being able to share my thoughts and ideas for other people to look at. At the end of the day, it helps me relieve any stress that I have.

All in all, this semester has come with good and bad things. I'm happy for both and am looking forward to next semester. I am slowly, but surely seeing myself grow into my own person. I've gotten out of my shell and talked to people in class. I honestly thought that I wouldn't talk to anyone, let alone make friends.

I've met some amazing professors and students. It's safe to say that this semester has taught me a lot, both figuratively and literally. I feel like a sponge and am trying to absorb new experiences all at once, but still trying to filter out the bad and learn from it. This freshman is done with her finals and as well as her rant. See ya in the spring.