Harry Potter Hogwarts Mystery Has Given Us Hope And A New Way To Spend Our Summer Break

"It's LeviOsa, not LevioSA"

185
Brett Sayles

If you don’t know by now, you’re surely missing out on the Hogwarts experience. If you’re not sure if you want to try this game, I’m here to help and persuade you toward the right direction.

“Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery” has by far one of the best gaming graphics I’ve seen for a mobile platform. It is completely B-E-A-util and Jam City (developer) really knew how to cater to the HP fans. So, before I give the 411 on all the fun little details and levels of the game, I’ll start by explaining that this is completely free. There are of course in app purchases and as a lover of the Wizarding World, why not lend the muggles a hand of support?

Now, into the nitty gritty of the game.

The game begins with the option to customize your own personal avatar. You are allowed to choose your own House: Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Hufflepuff. Through acquiring coins and diamonds within the game, eventually you can change your outfits and hairstyles accordingly.

We have some amazing characters returning for the wonderful game which include, Professor Severus Snape, Professor Minerva McGonagall, Professor Filius Flitwick, Rubeus Hagrid, Argus Filch, Madam Hooch, and many more. I did get the chance to see Nearly Headless Nick. Unfortunately, I’m only on chapter seven so there is more to be discovered and explored.

Along with the nostalgia that comes from interacting with these influential characters comes the memorable locations. It’s exciting to know they included The Great Hall, The Grand Staircase (still locked for me), The Courtyard, The Dungeons, all of the Common rooms for their respective houses, The Potions classroom, The Whomping Willow, Dumbledore’s Office, and so many more!

Oh! Did I mention the pictures move! They recreated the magical experience for us to hold it in our hands at any time of the day (Not comparing it to Pokémon Go because it's way better than that).

As we embark on our journey through Hogwarts, we can meet new characters and form relationships that benefit our gameplay. I say benefit because this game has a bit of what we call, a branching narrative. For those unaware of the term, branching narrative simply means more than one choice for the outcome of your story. The options for some answers to reply to certain characters are not available until you’ve reached a certain chapter or level. As the game advertises, "The choices you make shape the adventure you experience."

To continuously play, your energy must be full. This is where they persuade you to buy energy because they know you want to keep playing. Nevertheless, it’s a common strategy, but even more effective since it’s “Harry Potter.”

The character for which you choose has their own background story and you learn to make decisions based on the exposition given through dialogue. Throughout the game, since you are a student, you must go to class. You must learn new spells and potions in order to duel against your enemies. Even those battles must be played wisely.

The game has a neat technique for learning the spells. It has a symbol for you to trace with your finger. Then, your avatar performs the spell. The energy you have is used by tapping on objects to have your avatar focus on the task at hand.

As you know, Hogwarts has a point system. That has also been included in the game with how your decisions and participance in your studies shape the score toward who will acquire the House Cup (Hint: attend your classes and go for the longer hours).

I personally can’t wait to get back to playing, So, I’ll leave you with this.

“It’s LeviOsa, not LevisoSA.”